Forum Discussion

KenKK
Contributor
3 years ago

Roku/Firestick,

I noticed I asked this question 5 years ago and still no movement from COX.

Why can other providers around the Country do this and COX can't?  Whatever

the excuse is appears to have been solved by other providers.

I don't understand the logic not to offer it especially with so many dropping

cable TV keeping internet and buying a streaming package they can use

on all their TVs as well as cell phone.   Granted you loose the rental

box fee but you keep a service vs. cancelling cable TV.

Otherwise eliminate the rental box fee that provides everything one pays for not that little box that doesn't

get everything you pay for.   Somehow watching TV on a cell phone or iPad

doesn't offer the same experience as my TV.

One big benefit would be if Cable TV goes out you can still watch it through an

app on your firestick/Roku/ whatever internet streaming box.  I have had plenty of cases

my cable tv would go down but internet worked.  

I know this is an old rant (5 years old)  but I have to say some of the streaming packages

are starting to look good compared to the cost of cable TV.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    St8kout
    New Contributor III

For $39.99 you can't beat a Firestick. The only thing you'll regret is not having bought one sooner. Plug and Play. If you don't have WiFi then you'll need the ethernet adapter. No contracts, pick and choose whatever premium subscription you want, cancel anytime, plus almost everything has a free trial. Showtime's is 30 days. You can hop from one free trial to another as each one ends, which will keep you busy for months.I gave up Directv after 1 week of using my Firestick. Why pay for all those lame channels you never watch anyway, (mtv, bet, animal planet, nickelodeon, byu, qvc, hsn, bloomberg, cspan, link, cooking, cartoon, nasa, ion, galavision, etc.) If you want local channels, get an antenna (yes, they ALL broadcast in HD.) Every news/weather channel is free online or with an app.

If you've bought an Apple iphone/ipad/macbook recently you've already got 1 year of +AppleTV for free. Check out, "For All Mankind" series. I can't wait for the next season to start.

If you have Amazon Prime, their Prime video is included and they run specials every now and then, such as Starz for 99¢ per month for 2 months. Just don't get Showtime through them but directly from Showtime, for the 30 day free trail. If you go through Amazon it's only a week or so.

KenKK
      Contributor

I think what's happening is young people don't watch programs like Lifetime and similar. Seems

like  older folks do.   They basically are into entertainment like movies, and sports and a local channel.  My 30 year old Nephew recently picked up COX internet only and subs to streaming. The cost

of the entry level cable plus the additional cost of the channels he really wants made it

more expensive. package giving him the what he needs cheaper than the COX $99 TV package loaded with things they don't care about vs the pick and choose they have with the streaming package.

(Are you listening COX),

I also think Internet via wires to your home is starting to become s technology of the past.

Cell phone providers like T-Mobile offer wireless internet for $50/month with download speeds

close to 200 including upload speeds much faster than COX slow 10 or even 30 with their

300 down package.    As long as you have power your on the internet plus streaming entertainment.

No more worries about the cable going out or lost of internet which we all know happens.

Cell phone 5G technology with much faster down/up speeds for a lower cost will outdate

the current methods.   Something isn't right when my cell phone internet/phone is cheaper than

my Provider Internet/phone.   Most of the cell phone providers offer what would be consider unlimited

data much cheaper than years ago.    Technology and the cost of it is changing.

Ken

DavidA2
    Former Moderator
    Hi KenKK,

I can certainly understand your concern. At this time, I am not aware of any plans to make that change. However, I will gladly provide your feedback to our leadership team.

David
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      KenKK
      Contributor

Yes please do, and when you do you should see all the other COX support forum moderators going back 5 years saying the same thing.    Lets make this happen.