Forum Discussion

gordonlevy
New Contributor
6 months ago

Weekend TV

I have a strange problem. This happens only on weekends. With the remote, when I use the guide the TV freezes. This is a new problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? Has anyone ever heard of this. I am hoping that someone at Cox can help me get this fixed. 

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello, we might need to assist in investigating this issue. I tested it on my own under different circumstances, and the show continues to play in the background. If you do not receive any direction from others experiencing the same issue and continue having this problem with this can you please email cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and link to forum thread. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox High Speed Internet services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

The fact this has only happened on weekends and when using the guide is probably a coincidence.

You should reboot your receiver to see if that fixes the issue.  If not...

What you described is a symptom of a signal issue somewhere between your receiver and the Cox server.  When you press a button on the remote, a command request is sent to the Cox server which sends a response back to your receiver.  A signal issue can cause the receiver to lock up waiting for a response from the server that it never receives.  While watching a crystal clear channel, does your receiver ever freeze when you press pause, reverse or fast forward?  If the answer is yes, you should schedule a tech visit to check your signal.  If your cable comes in from a pole, be sure to request a tech with a long ladder.  The tech should check your signal at the tap to determine if there's a main line issue.  If the issue is on Cox's side of the demarc, you won't be charged for the tech visit.

DebuDG
    New Contributor

I am in Las Vegas and I am having exactly the same problem for several months now. 

While scrolling the TV Guide with the PG/CH Up and Down buttons on the right hand side of the remote, the TV suddenly freezes up.   When I turn off the TV and turn it on again the Cox restart screen appears with a series of colored squares and eventually the guide re-appears but everything on the right half of the guide says "program unavailable" and about 3 minutes later the entire guide becomes visible again only to act up unexpectedly without warning.

I have two TVs and both have shown the same problem and switching remotes between them has not helped.

A few days ago we had a TV/Internet maintenance-related outage for several hours and after that the problem seemed to have gone away but it proved to be just wishful thinking on my part. 

I have not bothered to call Cox support because from the past experience (and I have been a Cox customer for more than 20 years) I know how incompetent they are and most likely to send me on a frustrating wild goose chase so I have resigned myself to living with it.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      DebuDG wrote:

When I turn off the TV and turn it on again the Cox restart screen appears with a series of colored squares

Turning the TV off and on shouldn't have any effect.  Rebooting the cable receiver would initiate the signal reconnection you're seeing after a lost signal.  

If you don't contact Cox when you're having an issue, it's probably not going to get fixed.   If you're having a signal issue, you'll need a tech visit to either fix it or escalate it to a line tech.