Forum Discussion

poor_settop-box
New Contributor
7 years ago

poor set-top box software

I recently had to replace my 7-year-old set-top box due to malfunction.  The new one I received from my local Cox Solutions store (a Cisco Explorer 1642HDC) has software that is clumsy, ineffective, and missing features from my old box.  I'm really pissed off at how difficult things are now compared to how they were with my old box (which I was told was obsolete, so I couldn't just get a replacement for it).  Several of the old features that have been eliminated - mapping analog channels automatically to the HD version when the analog channel was selected (usually 2 less keypad presses), and the Favorites feature in Guide mode - are wasting my time over and over and over. NEVER eliminate old features, add new ones !  There isn't a single new feature that's useful, just extra buttons on the remote and busier screens that take more time to read.  This is the first time in over 20 years as a Cox customer that I have seen something so amateurish and beneath the useful quality and intuitiveness of Cox products that has kept me a customer for so long.

COX - GO BACK TO THE SET-TOP BOX SOFTWARE OF 7 YEARS AGO AND IMPROVE ON THAT ! WHAT YOUR GUI DESIGN IDIOTS HAVE PRODUCED IS GARBAGE.  CALL ME IF YOU'D LIKE TO GET SOME FREE TECHNICAL ADVICE ON SOFTWARE DESIGN - I HAVE 32 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS A SOFTWARE SYSTEMS DESIGNER.  XXX-XXX-XXXX. *edited by moderator*  I'M WAITING !

If no one responds, I'll go back to the Solutions store and show one of your associates all the things that are wrong in front of the other customers in the store. Don't make the mistake of ignoring someone who can help you fix your mistakes.

6 Replies

• poor settop-box software,

I've edited your post to remove your telephone number, as this forum is public and viewable by guests as well as registered users. Please keep in mind that our forums are for customers to discuss technical topics relating to Cox services, and as such, posts in our forums are not always answered immediately.

I regret hearing that your transition to a newer platform is not going smoothly. In Leu of being able to auto-tune to HD, on standard definition channels where the option is available, you will see an option on the right to press the "A" button for HD. Favorites can be configured from the settings menu.

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I've forwarded your input to the appropriate leadership for review. Should you have any questions about your new box or the software please let us know. All account-specific inquiries should be directed to us by email at cox.help@cox.com or by reaching out to us via social media on Twitter at @CoxHelp or on Facebook

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm curious which IPG you replaced and received.

Andrew_Wees
    Contributor III

cox leases interactive guides the don't make any box software.  right now I think they are using ipg's from Rovi/Tivo for non whole home dvr and reagular sd and hd boxes and NDS/COMCAST'S x1 SOFTWARE FOR WHOLE HOME DVR

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I suspected the OP either had Rovi or Contour 1.  However, after the loss of Auto-Tune to HD, it's probably Contour 1 because my Auto-Tune to HD never worked with Rovi...along with other dysfunctions:

- Closed Captioning button on the remote doesn't work
     - MLB Extra Innings doesn't have HD channels
     - HBO only has 2 of 8 HD channels...that's a 25%

You're correct.  Cox licensed and rebranded the Xfinity X1 platform as Contour 2.  They have no control over it.

Andrew_Wees
    Contributor III

- MLB Extra Innings doesn't have HD channels
     - HBO only has 2 of 8 HD channels...that's a 25%

cox does have MLB extra innings and most premium hd channels, but you need a cable box/third party box with cable card that supports 1GHz and mpeg4

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Yup...and MPEG-4 only comes with DVR boxes...and DVR boxes come with a DVR service fee...and a DVR service fee comes every month at $13.  I have zero interest to record anything.  It's cheaper to complain.