Forum Discussion

asfaraslarry
New Contributor II
9 months ago

Default Channel

I see posts from like 4 years ago, but nothing more recent, so the answers there are probably irrelevant.

We just got the newer cox boxes, the ones that work through the Panoramic Wifi router, and noticing there is no 'Channel' menu any more. That was where you used to be able to select what channel you would like each box to power up to each day. In our case, one of the music channels.

Couldn't find any other place it might have been moved, and don't see anything under labs.

Is there a place to set the default power on channel? Was it removed? If so, why?

Thank you.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    probably irrelevant

Yup.

Cox has two platforms for TV service:  Cox TV and Contour.  The Power-on channel feature is available with Cox TV but not Contour.

asfaraslarry
      New Contributor II

It was on our old Contour boxes. I don't remember the model of those, but there was a big black base unit, and small satellites with a vertical blue power light on each.

With the new boxes, they are even smaller than the old satellites, and there is no 'main' box, they are both these tiny boxes that connect wifi. Shows are saved in the cloud rather than on the main black box.

With the old and the new, it's still all the Contour experience. The only thing that has changed is there is no way to set a default channel.

Or, maybe what we got used to with the old boxes is they would "start on the last channel they were on when powered off". Now there's (as I understand it, haven't seen it yet) a landing screen when the first box is powered on in the morning, with weather and ads, and you have to change to the last channel you were on. Hoping to bypass whatever that new landing page is.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Is your box on the list here? I am guessing the new boxes can use a new guide depending on if available in your area. This "Contour Stream player" probably doesn't have that option because it runs as a app instead of natively. Maybe there is a way to get it to run normal Contour instead? Hopefully a moderator can help more.

asfaraslarry
      New Contributor II

The menu system and online experience didn't change at all, I was pleasantly surprised in that regard.

The brand shows as SERCOMM on my TV devices account page (not listed on the link you sent).

Everything looks the same as on the other boxes, just don't see a way to set the default channel. It starts up on some page with the weather and ads (as my Dad describes it, he's always on the TV first each day, haven't seen it myself). We were hoping to get it to start up on a preferred channel as the old boxes did.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        The brand shows as SERCOMM on my TV devices account page

Not to be a pain, but could you look on the unit itself for a model number? If nothing else, it would document the problem for others. I found these but it is possible Cox got something new/proprietary from the manufacture.