Forum Discussion

fred123
New Contributor
3 days ago

Phone not working

Received a new replacement modem from cox. All good except now no incoming or outgoing service. Reset, etc still nothing, no dial tone. When I call the number goes to vm but doesn’t ring or allow a message. 
Customer service not able to help, a tech will be coming out and of course I will be charged if my problem. 

any suggestions or similar experience?

thanks

• Did your phone work properly with the previous modem?  If not, you could have a faulty tap.  Internet and TV operation may function properly, but phone service can fail.  That happened to me.  I was without phone service for 5 days before someone discovered a faulty tap and replaced it, restoring phone service.  It's also possible the new modem isn't an eMTA (modem with telephone capability).  If there's no issue with your modem or other equipment, the new modem may need to be provisioned.  If your phone not working is caused by any of the things I mentioned, you shouldn't be charged for the Cox tech visit.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Did your phone work properly with the previous modem?  If not, you could have a faulty tap.  Internet and TV operation may function properly, but phone service can fail.  That happened to me.  I was without phone service for 5 days before someone discovered a faulty tap and replaced it, restoring phone service.  It's also possible the new modem isn't an eMTA (modem with telephone capability).  If there's no issue with your modem or other equipment, the new modem may need to be provisioned.  If your phone not working is caused by any of the things I mentioned, you shouldn't be charged for the Cox tech visit.

fred123
      New Contributor

Thanks CurtB. 
      Tech came this afternoon and first thing I mentioned provisioning. He made a call and that took care of it! 
      Tech was great. 
      thanks again for the assist 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

"I love it when a plan comes together." - Hannibal Smith

Thanks for letting us know.