Forum Discussion

Scottws
New Contributor
3 years ago

Why does DVR content count against my data quota?

A cording to the app, when I watch DVR content, my box is using data.

That doesn't seem right.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      Scottws
      New Contributor

So when the wifi app shows this data usage, I'm not actually using data?  This is from yesterday. I caught up on DVR'd programming. The app says that's 27% of my daily usage over the past 24 hours.  At least that's how it looks to me.

Scottws
        New Contributor

Pretty sure I didn't use 84Gig in one day on my other devices.

MichaelJ
      Hi @Scottws,

When you log in to the Cox website and use the Data Usage Meter what do you see there for using on that day?

Thank you,

Mike J.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Scottws
        New Contributor

Same as the mobile app: 85Gig as of the 25th (second day of the cycle).  

Scottws
      New Contributor

Any more info as to why the app says watching tv is charged against my data?

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        Hi @Scottws

The screenshots of Network Activity on the Panoramic App are different than the actual Data Usage limit that you have every month. You're DVR and cable boxes do not count against your monthly Data Limit.

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You subscribe to Cloud DVR?  Does your Cloud DVR need your router?  Could you turn off your router...watch a program from Cloud Storage...then compare your before-and-after Data Usage?

Snake777
      New Contributor

The panoramic gateway acts as the host and the receivers won't work without the host itself. So there's no direct way to test that theory.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

You say DVR counts against data...mod says not true...so my theory was to remove everything from your network except your DVR...watch a recording...then compare usage.