New Contributor
3 years ago

where can I control the mtu for cox router

Where can I control the mtu for cox router

6 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Theyoungestson

Not sure I understand your request, please clarify?

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
    FrankieFrank
    New Contributor II

Every router is different,  what's your setup like? Also, I have experimented with different MTU settings and automatic is normally the best now a days.

St8kout
    New Contributor III

You might be onto something. My MTU is 1500 and I bumped it up through Win10 command prompt to 1510. My plan is 25Mbps and speedofme says it's 32Mbps.

Run Command app as admin. copy/paste "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces" without parenthesis.

It will show your current MTU and your subinterface name, probably "Ethernet."

Then copy/paste "netsh int ipv4 set subinterface “Ethernet” mtu=1510 store=persistent"  (or whatever mtu value you want to try.)

I tried using 1600 and got "not recognized."

Just realize that if you go too high, your packets will be broken up during their travel through various servers across the country. 1500 seems to be the 'safe' standard, at least for now.

FrankieFrank
      New Contributor II

Yep, lower settings like 1492 solve certain packet loss issues but it's hit or miss if you solve anything. You can try lower settings and packets are not lost but have to be resent since MTU size is smaller.  Older routers that had minimal hardware and would  benefit from these tweaks but auto settings work fine in newer routers with more memory and faster CPUs.

My advice test but leave at default. 

Thanks 

St8kout
        New Contributor III

You can simply use Command to see if you are experiencing packet loss.

You ping something like Google and it will tell you how many sent/received, how many were lost.

Run Command Prompt as administrator.

copy/paste "ping google.com -n 25"

This will give you your ping stats.

Mine shows no loss at MTU of 1510. My default was 1500.