Forum Discussion

yompal
New Contributor
6 years ago

Video calls slow down my entire internet

Hi,

This is a unique situation I find myself in, but i'm not sure what to do or why this is happening. Whenever I go on any video calls (keep in mind my internet should be 100 down/5 up), my entire internet grinds to a halt, dropping my speeds below 1mbps. I've tried resetting the router and the modem. Does anyone have any experience with this issue, and how to fix it?

6 Replies

• Hi Yompal, what software are you using for video calls? Is the quality of the video call impacted? Is the device making the video call wireless, or connected to the router with an ethernet cord? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      yompal
      New Contributor

I've tried every software, from Facetime to Google Duo. The quality of the video is impacted slowly over the course of the network degradation. All devices tested with this are wireless.

Becky
        Hi Yompal, how many total devices connect to your network? You might want to limit other online activities during video calls. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    my entire internet grinds to a halt

What male/model is indicating 1 Mbps? 

yompal
      New Contributor

I get 1mbps through speedtest.net with a Netgear R6300 router, if that's what you mean.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Can you connect directly to the modem...bypass the router...and test video calls?