Forum Discussion

Geauxkoo
New Contributor
5 years ago

VERY SLOW UPLOAD SPEEDS, download is fine.

I have been dealing with extremely slow upload speeds for a very long time, at least a year. Maybe two? I have gigablast. Download is consistently fine. Always around 900 mbps and above. Upload is sporadic. Very seldom I get the 35mbps. But its very short lasting. Maybe a couple hours, then it goes back down to well under 10mbps. Most of the time it stays under 5mbps. Just ran a speed test, its at 3mbps. Anyways, numerous tech visits. Most of them didn't find anything. Changed all cables from the pole outside, all the way into my house and up to my modem. Its a straight cable from the pole to modem, no splitters. Replaced my modem. Replaced all ethernet cords. Literally replaced EVERYTHING. Still having the same issues. One of the techs said I was getting slow speeds at the pole. Scheduled out a linemen to come check the lines down my street. Linemen said that he found something and that it should be repaired. My upload came up for a few days and stayed consistent, which never happened before, but now its back down again. Dealing with these issues for so long is very, very frustrating and the fact that I pay $160 a month for gigablast and the extra 500gb data and I don't even get a fraction of the speed I am paying for just tops it off. I don't know what else to do. I've just about given up. There's nothing else to replace. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Because I do not know what else to do. I've browsed many forums and other things on the internet and this seems to be an issues for many people, but i'm hoping someone has a miracle for me. And before anyone asks: YES, i'm directly connected to the modem WIRED and its on multiple devices. Yes I have rebooted it too many times to count. 

20 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • What are your power levels reported by the modem (downstream power, upstream power, SNR)?  Also, are you getting uncorrectable codewords?  Does your event log show any errors (T3 timeouts, T4 timeouts, Dynamic Range Window errors)?

Geauxkoo
      New Contributor

It's not letting me post my modem stats...but power on downstream goes from 2.1 to 9.4 dBmV. All 32 channels are locked. SNR is around 37 dB on all. No correctable codes. Upstream goes from 47.5 dBmV to 49.5 dBmV on 4 channels that are locked. There are 4 more channels that are not locked, however. But cox said that those 4 do not need to be locked for some reason. Also not sure about OFDM and OFDMA channels but i have 2 for downstream and one is locked and 2 for upstream and neither one are locked. 

Geauxkoo
      New Contributor

Thanks. I've used speedof.me, speed test.net, testmy.net, cox.com...all showing low. I will try the guide.

Geauxkoo
      New Contributor

This guide is just for a single PC, correct? I'm having slow upload issue on every PC, laptop, xbox, phone I have. 

Zurq
        Contributor II

I tried it on my main gaming pc and it worked for me. and I have done it on my second pc and i got some good results. For me I was getting strong wifi speeds but not lan speeds. So I did some research and complied everything that I did to get my speeds to stabilize. 

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Geauxkoo, your modem levels appear to be within the normal range, and I'm not seeing any T3 timeouts. However, I've pinged your modem several times and I'm detecting other issues that need to be addressed. At this time, I think it would be best to send out another service technician to diagnose and correct the issues. For additional support, please reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com, Facebook, or Twitter. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Geauxkoo
      New Contributor

There was suppose to be some linemen come out again to check the lines again this week, but I haven't heard back anything yet. 

Geauxkoo
    New Contributor

UPDATE: apparently the lineman was never scheduled earlier this week like cox said. So I have another appointment scheduled, but they won't be able to show up until Friday.

• I'm told by COX that there are some signal level issues with my modem and maybe some packet loss.  What would be a procedure that you guys would use to look and test for something like this.  Give some detail so I can start my own investigation.  Also, what do I look for in any of these displays or logs?  I currently don't experience any modem shutdowns or broken downloads.  My only issue was associated with the Cox speedtest slowing down on the Upload side.

"Your Modem is reporting slightly higher signal levels on the US and DS modem channels." was a comment from them.  How do I look at this on my PC and what do I look for.  I've used Pingplotter and WinMTR to trace hops to cox.com.  When I looked at the results, i saw a hop #6 having large packet loss....however, Cox tells me that there is an issue with my modem.  Since I cannot post my Ping image to this forum (a few of us are having this problem), I thought I would just ask.

Zurq
      Contributor II

with ping plotter, you have to watch for packet loss in the cox hops, then look for packetloss on the very last hop. also check your upstream and downstream signals, Good Downstream power level are within -7 to +7 dBmV. Good upstream power levels are within 38-48 dBmV. if you dont know how to see that, go to 192.168.0.1 (if you are using a cox modem/router) not too sure how to do on an aftermarket router. Click "Connection" and go to "Cox Network" and scroll all the way down, and find Downstream and upstream power levels. and check if they are in those ranges.

ekhawaii
        Contributor

Thanks Zurq, always some good info.  My Netgear C6900 had 24 channels, download power -8.9 to -13.8.  My upload had 4 with results of 48.4 to 50.4.  So by your standards of +-7 and 38-48, I'm outside the ranges of being Great, maybe Fair.  The Home screen shows the Cable Connection as Good.  Is there a Better, Great or Excellent indicator here?

I've tighten my modem coaxial connection, including the 1 splitter, and wall, and have power restarted the modem.  Does this imply my Modem is going bad, one that I purchased but on the COx list.  Since I don't really have issues, other than noticing my upload speeds dropping to half the 2week ago numbers when using the COX speedtest.  Other speed test give higher uploads.  Also did a pingplotter to the cox site, and showed #6 with lager packet loss.  But Cox said my modem had issues, and did not want to discuss the Hop issue I saw.  Cox also would not share the IP address that their OCounty speed test was pointing to so that I could have run a ping or pingplotter  to it instead of speedtest.  WinMTR also had same #6 PLoss like pingplotter did.