Forum Discussion

rrweather
New Contributor
7 years ago

Unexplained Data Increase

From what I've read, I am not the first person to see this...

On Nov 23, 2017, the last day of our billing cycle, we used 6 GB of data (reasonable). On Nov 24, 2017, my billing cycle started over. On that day we allegedly used 111 GB. We followed with alleged usages of 350 GB, 318 GB, and 302 GB, respectively, for the next three days. We then had 3 days of single digit usage. We have since had alleged usages of 107 GB, 373 GB, 321 GB, and 211 GB, respectively, over the last 4 days. The 211 GB was yesterday, when I was home all day, barely using the internet. 

Sunday evening, I got another e-mail from Cox warning me about my data usage (we are at 2107 GB since Nov 24th). I immediately reset my router (Apple Airport Extreme) and created a new hidden network with a 12 digit WPA2 password, which contains special characters and numbers. Obviously the password isn't unhackable but probably beyond the scope of the teenage neighbor hacker using our network to game on. So the day after changing our network and making it harder to break into, we still supposedly used 211 GB, which is impossible as I was home all day by myself, barely online.

Monday morning I called tech support. The first tech responded with "Jesus Christ" when I told him we were at 175% of our monthly cap for data less than two weeks into the billing period. He immediately connected me to a higher level of tech support. That individual recommended I run a virus scan on the only computer connected to our network (an old iMac that is slowly dying a slow death). I ran the scan and it found nothing. This same tech looked back at the last three months of our usage and said our highest month was +/- 290GB for the entire month. He had no idea what was going on but said he'd elevate our case. He convinced me we should temporarily bump our account up to unlimited data for an extra $50 a month until we figure out the issue. Then he said he'd credit us for the overages we're going to get charged up until that point.

So, we have no idea what is going on. I've done everything I can think of on my end. Now I'm paying an extra $50 a month for data I'm not using because we can't figure out what is going on.

We have 1 computer (the old iMac) hardwired to the network. We have a PS4 (never used) and an old Apple TV (hardly used) also hardwired to the network. We also have a new Apple TV, Amazon Fire, and Xbox One (never used) wirelessly connected. Occasionally we have a MacBook air connected wirelessly. Lastly we have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads connected to the network every day. 

Our internet usage and patterns of behavior are identical from the last year and a half since we moved in to this house. Nothing has changed on our end. Our house consists of two adults that work full time and a 4 year old that goes to day care. I'm not a computer wiz but I would argue it'd be impossible for our household to use 300+ GB in a day unless we were file sharing and had 4K movies on repeat (neither of which is true). 

I do find it slightly suspicious that our data increase coincided with the first day in a new billing period. I haven't heard back from tech support but I'm not holding my breath. The fact that our usage is still high after changing our network makes m think we hadn't been hacked. I am open to trying anything else if someone has an idea. I don't want to spend an extra $50 a month for data I'm not using. Ironically, we got a call from Cox almost a month ago offering us faster internet or a cheaper bill. I opted for faster internet and now we have this issue to deal with. Good times...Thanks for any help or suggestions.

RR

29 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion