Forum Discussion

Boris
New Contributor
6 years ago

Unbearable packet loss -- Arizona

I just moved to my college home and I am noticing some terrible, consistent packet loss. I am getting around 1-5% almost all the time while playing games like Fortnite and Overwatch. I am running out of things to try and fix it and getting really disheartened with being unable to game. So I am more than happy to try anything necessary to try and fix this.

For hardware I have:

Modem- Arris SB6190 ( I know the CPU sometimes is a problem so I tried a CM700 but nothing changed)
Router- Linksys AC1900

The packet loss happens whether it is a wired connection or wireless.

Here is a tracert to the game servers, not sure if this will help!

4 Replies

• Hi Boris, hops with 100% packet loss where the next hop shows zero packet loss are most likely due to ICMP deprioritization. True packet loss would affect all subsequent hops. Also, timeouts once the trace route reaches the AWS server is expected. Amazon Web Services servers don't return ping requests; they block ICMP packets for network security reasons. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Boris
      New Contributor

I had no idea about that, what are some things I can try and do to troubleshoot this? I absolutely have to get this fixed.

Becky
        Hi Boris, since you are using PingPlotter, you might find their Knowledge Base articles helpful. The article at http://www.pingman.com/kb/24 is a good place to start. :) -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator