Forum Discussion

dcmsox2004
New Contributor
7 years ago

tg1682 modem with smart tv problems

just recently 'graduated' from our older modem/router to the new tg1682, installed by cox on 1/20/2018.  works fine with our internet on our pc, our iphones and fire 10 tablet.  however, the quality of picture on netflix on our smart tv is greatly not crisp as it was. (on our old cox modem).  all netflix channels are not clean and clear.  the tg1682 has been rebooted twice, same results.

4 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'll interpret "greatly not crisp...not clean and clear" as you're now experiencing a lower picture resolution with Netflix on your new TG1682.  For example, you now experience HD vs. UHD...or...1080i vs. 1080p.  What is the resolution of your now unclean and unclear video?

You didn't mention if your SmartTV is connected to your network either wired or wirelessly.  That makes a difference.

Your SmartTV negotiates with Netflix for the optimal picture resolution.  The greatest factor to negotiate is your available bandwidth.  If you have the available bandwidth and a movie is formatted in UHD, Netflix will send you the UHD version.  If you don't have the bandwidth, Netflix will send whatever HD version is capable on your network, such as 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

To stream video, you should connect your SmartTV to your TG1682 with a wired connection.  A wired connection is more consistent and reliable than a wireless.

If you can't go wired, you may have had a QoS setting enabled on your previous router for your SmartTV.  QoS stands for Quality of Service.  By enabling QoS, you're telling the router your SmartTV gets priority over all other wireless devices.  You set your SmartTV as Highest Priority and all other clients on your wireless network will fight over the leftover scraps of bandwidth .

Go wired or Highest Priority.

• david meyers

Bruce covered anything that I would've said and more. Thanks Bruce!

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    dcmsox2004
    New Contributor

hi... well it turned out to be with netflix... specifically in settings...

somewhere along the line, the quality was set to 'low', and i have no

idea how that came to pass since i did not change it.

i haven't checked the service yet, as the neftflix rep mike, nice guy,

told me it could take 8 hours to take effect.

as my dad would've said, it's always something...

• david meyers

Glad it was something simple. Feel free to reach out here 24/7.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator