Forum Discussion

tech_man
New Contributor III
4 years ago

Speedtests

Why do you get totally different numbers on Speedtest especially on Wi-Fi?  Right now, I’m getting 69.8 download and 3.90 upload. I ran it on the 18th.  I got 26 upload   Do we share band with with our neighbors.  And a Cox guy come out yesterday and he said I was getting good signals.   

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What router do you have?  Not all routers are created equally.  Some are junk.

RobIT
    New Contributor II

Check your speed with a hardwire connection to the Cox router, using either a Cat-5e or Cat-6 ethernet cable.  Wireless will degrade for a variety of reasons, including interference and overheating.

tech_man
      New Contributor III

I just ran a speed test using chrome browser on my wired Mac.  I got 106.5 download. 14.7 upload with a PING of 8 using the standard ethernet cable that Cox provides

using the Safari I got 238.0 download. 13.6 upload with PING of 8

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Reported speeds will vary depending upon the speed test tool used, city selected, time of day and the browser. 

I ran tests to compare reported browser Internet speeds using Chrome and Edge.  Using the Cox speed test tool and selecting the same city for both, a series of 8 comparisons were performed going back and forth between Chrome and Edge (to eliminate time of day as a variable).  Both browsers reported essentially the same download speed, but Edge reported faster upload speeds in 7 of 8 tests, often by a wide margin.  For the one time Chrome reported a faster upload, the reported speeds were close to the same.

I ran the same tests using Speakeasy speed test, selecting the same city and going back and forth between Chrome and Edge.  In a series of 8 comparisons, download speeds were still essentially the same.  But for every comparison, reported upload speeds were significantly faster using Chrome than when using Edge (3.1 to 5.7 times faster).

If you're looking for faster reported upload speeds, use Edge with Cox's speed test tool or Chrome with Speakeasy.  The differences in reported upload speeds between Chrome and Edge using Speakeasy were more than the differences in reported upload speeds between Edge and Chrome using Cox's speed test tool.

Note: These were my comparative test results for reported browser Internet speeds taken from a small sample size.  Perform similar tests and post your results.

tech_man
      New Contributor III

Why would I get much higher download numbers when doing WIRED tests on safari and not chrome?  I’m using the Ethernet cord cox gives.  My problem is my wireless. Any  suggestions 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

A significant difference in download speed from one browser to another isn't something I've experienced, but I haven't tested using Safari.  From my limited testing, it appears that the upload speeds reported by a given speed test tool will be consistently higher for one browser than the same test with a different browser.  It may be the speed test tool you used reports a  higher download speed when using Safari than when using Chrome.  Which speed test did you use?  Were your results from a single test for each browser or a pattern determined from multiple tests for each?   Did you select the same city for both browsers?  Would you be willing to use a different speed test tool to test your speeds with Safari and Chrome and post your results?  If you do, be sure to select the same city for both and perform the tests as close to the same time as possible to eliminate variables.

As for suggestions regarding your wireless, there are others in this forum who can better help you with that.  You'll need to provide them some detail information about your setup.