Speed halved after recent outage
Equipment: Arris SB6190 (have a SB6183 on standby if needed). ASUS RT-1900P router.
My first and hopefully last post in this forum. This is pretty straightforward. I’ll try to explain what’s happening, and what I think the problem is.
A few days ago, Phoenix experienced an outage around 12:15-12:30 AM local time. I remember it because I got a text from a coworker who asked if my service was out and if I could remote in check if our network backup provider had kicked in at work. It did. My service was restored in about 20 minutes (Thank You, techs!), however I noticed something very quickly.
I’ve had Cox for about 18 months, and when I signed up, I had the double play (TV and Preferred 100 internet). This was then bumped to 150 mbps. I later went to internet only. Service has been great. I was averaging 150-170 mbps on wired and 140-160 on wireless (not really important, but figured to list it).
When my service came back up, I was maxing out at 91-93 mbps on wired and 75-77 on wireless. I did the usual, reset connections, power cycle, etc. Still got the same speeds. I brought up chat with a Cox rep, and they said I needed to “turn off” my devices, then tried to sell me on Panoramic Wi-Fi. I ended the session. I started a new session, who offered to send out a tech, and I declined. Later, I called Cox support. I got a great rep who spoke the tech language, and saw that my modem was receiving the wrong “service level”. In essence, although I was paying for 150/10 and it was on my account, the modem thought I was on a sub 100 speed. He said he “fixed” the issue and sent out a new signal. It worked for about 5 minutes, I was getting my 150+ speeds. It then kicked back down to 91-93 and has been there since. I had hung up with the rep when the issue returned. He mentioned if his trick didn’t work he would need to send a reprovision request, and have to basically set up as new.
I think what he’s saying is correct, because in a previous instance last year, I lost signal and when it came up, I was getting sub-100 speeds and was told by a rep that my modem thought I was still on the Preferred 100 plan, not the new Preferred 150. The fix there was a reprovision.
If it’s the modem, I have a spare. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Hi Chris, and thank you for responding. I’m sorry for venting my frustration on here, please know I do not personally blame the support techs who I have been in contact with, and greatly appreciate their help and support in whatever way possible.
That’s an interesting idea about the 10/100 deal, I’ve checked my equipment and they are all equipped with gigabit ports, but something could be falling back to 10/100. As a matter of fact, on the speed tests it does act like an invisible barrier at 100. What would you like me to snap a picture of?
I would like to mention, that in the midst of my frustration last night I did a manual power cycle of the modem. More accurately, I unplugged it for almost an hour. When it came up, I then did a reset from within the Cox app on my phone. Since then it’s stayed in the 120-150 range, which is absolutely a-ok with me. It’s now been 24 hours and it hasn’t fallen back. I’m not constantly testing it either, as I had to go in to work today instead of working remotely.
On the technician thing, I went over to a friends house today to troubleshoot their speeds and WiFi. They had a Cox tech over there, but the tech said they are not allowing techs inside houses in Phoenix due to COVID-19. So I’m not sure what the tech could do besides check the taps outside. But if you think a tech should check them, by all means send one.
Anyway, sorry for the long post.