Forum Discussion

joblack
New Contributor
2 years ago

Reaching 90% of your data limit

I am giving one more month and i will cancel Cox after 15 years.  Getting very tired of their **.   This is getting ridiculous and I know you a@%%holes are lying.  This month for a full week i've had partial internet due to construction in the area.  Look it up,  i called every day for a full week.   About 1st or 2nd of the month is when i get the warring but it starts from 75% and by the 6st when counter resets for my account,  I am no where near the 100%.  This month cox you blew it and i know you are lying.   Nothing is different than any other month.

5 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Change your Wi-Fi password and see if your daily data usage decreases.

joblack
      New Contributor

No.   I do this for living.  I have a palo firewall behind with only home macs allowed ontop not to mention my wireshark runs constant.  I can read this like the f-ing matrix.   No don't have a tin foil but we live in a f-ed up world.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III
        Nothing is different than any other month.

...including your password.

What would it cost to try it?  You're assuming your controls are working properly and haven't been compromised.  But you're seeing higher than expected data usage.  How do you know there's been no unauthorized use?

Are you sure no one has social engineered your Wi-Fi password?

I do this for living.

How hard could it be for you to change a password?

You could also have a device that's continuing to use data when it's not actively in use.  An example might be a streaming service that continues accumulating data usage if it's not signed out after you've finished viewing.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Did you notice lots of network overhead this month, such as re-transmissions overly corrupt packets, due to the construction?  A noisy signal could have pushed you over the limit.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Do you stream any media, AND/OR do you have amazon echo/dot or whatever. Sometimes the amazon devices will go into a listening mode and will attempt to identify everything going on, even tv, and it can use a lot of data. Netflix 4K video can use as much as 8gb an hour, (something I found out when I binge watched "The Blacklist". James Spader is an excellent bad guy, lol!  Also, do you have a ring doorbell or security cameras? They can sometimes use a lot of data as well. But since you do this for a living, this is all probably stuff you already know, but sometimes we forget, or overlook some things when we are focused on something else. Login to your firewall or check wireshark and see if something happened to have used a lot of data recently?