Forum Discussion

bits
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

question on dubious emails about email accounts being upgraded

Are these emails for real or phishing.  They are from  COX SERVICE<*******@cox.net>

Starting on November 25th, 2021, customers that are yet to update their account will no longer be able to log in via their

email addresses due to recent security upgrades.

Please follow the link below to secure your account:

Update Now

Please do not reply to this message

• It looks phishy:  bad grammar, ambiguous, threatening.  In an era of spoofing, phishing, social engineering, spamming, scamming, lying and efforts to avoid becoming prey to said maliciousness...I would just delete it.  Even if this email were legitimate, I would still delete it due to the moronic employee having haphazardly crafted it.

Your gut instinct is your natural protection.  Even with the slightest hesitation, I'd delete it.  If Cox was to terminate your service & account because you haven't "updated" your account, Cox will send you a letter.  Cox wouldn't lose your business due to an account setting.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It looks phishy:  bad grammar, ambiguous, threatening.  In an era of spoofing, phishing, social engineering, spamming, scamming, lying and efforts to avoid becoming prey to said maliciousness...I would just delete it.  Even if this email were legitimate, I would still delete it due to the moronic employee having haphazardly crafted it.

Your gut instinct is your natural protection.  Even with the slightest hesitation, I'd delete it.  If Cox was to terminate your service & account because you haven't "updated" your account, Cox will send you a letter.  Cox wouldn't lose your business due to an account setting.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Bits

We like to take a closer look at this email you are referring to. Please contact us at cox.help@cox.com along with the email so we can investigate.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      bits
      New Contributor

Jonathan

There were over 25 emails similar to this one in the inbox over the past couple of months.  My friend asked me about them.   I deleted them all.   I expect that there will be more coming.  I will forward sample(s) when received.  Their Cox logos looked pretty polished and convincing, but most showed a from email address in the form of userid@cox.com, with various values for user id. 

thanks much! 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Recommend to your friend to not click, ignore  & delete.  Log into the account via typing or bookmark and if Cox mandates updates, Cox will prompt your friend.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Is ****** a legit account?  Ain't seem fair to leave it in this post.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

This was quick...thanks!