Forum Discussion

L00C
New Contributor
2 years ago

Port Forwarding on Cox Wi-fi App?

I am having trouble opening ports on my TG1682G Panoramic Wi-Fi router. I have installed the Cox Wi-Fi app, but it has proved unhelpful. Going to the dedicated section for port forwarding immediately throws an error message, saying "Something unexpected happened", with no further technical details that could help me diagnose the issue. I am running an up-to-date version of the Android Cox Wi-Fi app on my phone, and this feature fails to function both over cellular data and over Wi-Fi. There are other sections of the app that also tell me they "can't display [my] details right now", which may indicate an issue with the service the app should be connecting to.
There is no other means of opening ports on my router, since the feature has been removed from all other services- accessing the router from the default gateway results in a redirect to wifi.cox.com, which has also seen its features stripped to move to the app.
Many posts on this forum say "Buy another router". Maybe someday soon- but I'd appreciate help in finding interim/stop-gap solutions, even frustrating ones, if there are any. One post had a recommendation to reach out to an email, but they asked for a lot of personal information- so I asked for a phone number. No reply yet.

2 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I hear port forwarding is hit or miss for some ever since they moved the port forwarding and other advanced options into the cloud. Does other remote management work like using the system to reset your gateway/modem? See here for instructions. If so, try a factory reset of the gateway and see if it works then. If not, you probably have a signal problem of some kind keeping Cox from communicating with your gateway.

Overall, if you use advanced options like port forwarding a lot, I suggest buying your own router. If you get Cox phone service, you should be eligible to swap the TG1682G to a TM3402 and use your own router. Or, if you get the gateway for free, you can bridge it. See here for instructions.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

As for contacting the moderators by phone, I don't think they do that. Email only, however that should be secure. You can call Cox and try asking for Customer Advocacy Group(CAG) and see if they can escalate you but I am afraid they will just try to upsell you to Cox Complete Care(CCC). It's worth a try though. Let us know how it goes. I haven't called tier 1 in years so i don't know how bad it has gotten.