Forum Discussion

j_fett1
New Contributor
2 days ago

Paying for 1GB and capped at 100mbps

Recently switched from IdeaTek 1GB to Cox 1GB because we moved to a town that IdeaTek doesn’t service. When I was with IdeaTek I was getting 1GB up/down and now with Cox I am capped at 100mbps up/down even though I pay for 1GB. I feel as if they are attempting to scam unknowing customers as I see as I am not the only one with this issue and the connection shows it is 1GB capable but is being capped at 100mbps. I know my setup is capable as I had no issues with IdeaTek and my Ethernet port on my PC is capable of 2.5GB and I am running a Cat8 Cable. Please get someone to fix this and give me what I pay for.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Though you MAY have a 2.5gb ethernet, it may not be RUNNING at 2.5gb. I have an Alienware R16 with a 2.5gb ethernet, but found it was default configured for 100 mbps. 

ALSO, it is important that you are connected to the correct port on the router. The pano modem, I believe uses Port 4 for fast ethernet, Other routers may aggregate 2 ports and may need to be configured for fast ethernet

j_fett1
      New Contributor

Here is my equipment I was provided. PW8
      Brand: TECHNICOLOR
      Model: CGM4981COM

Fiber Household Terminal
      Brand: NOKIA
      Model: G-010G-T

The other ports on the Modem/Router are all 1GB capable and port 4 is 2.5GB capable but is reserved for connecting to the ONT

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

Then you will need to purchase a router instead of using the PW8. Since port 4 is the ONLY port capable of faster than 1gb, and it's used for the ONT, you are limited to 1gb on the other 3 ports. WHILE that doesn't limit the TOTAL speed of the internet, since the speeds are shared through all ports and WiFi, if you want your computer to reach top speed, you will need your own router.