Forum Discussion

Mike_Y
New Contributor
4 years ago

Panoramic Modem - Unacceptable Fan Noise?

I just replaced my 4 year old Cox DOCSIS 30 modem with new their Panoramic modem/router.  Couple issues, but most importantly is the noise.  I assume it has an internal fan (?)  It is a low humm/buzz coming from the device.  I have this in my office, but if it was in my living room or a bedroom I would have to shut it off.

Do others have noise issues with this modem?  If this is normal, I will have to return it and purchase my own compatible modem.

The other issue is that I can't modify the DNS servers.  Why can't we modify the DNS servers?  What benefit would there be to Cox to lock that down?

I think I'll post to twitter also so that I can get this addressed before I lose my mind from the noise!

Thanks in advance for your input.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Mike_Y
    New Contributor

Just replaced this jet engine fanned, no-DNS change allowed, no-DDNS client device with an Arris SB8200.  Back to normal now - no buzzing/humming fan - and back in control of all of my configuration via my router.

I do not recommend this Technicolor CGM4141 modem/router.  I actually don't recommend Cox service at all, but there are currently zero other choices in my area.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox equipment is reissued equipment or somebody had dropped it.  I didn't know a modem had fans.  It could be its power supply.  Return it.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Why are you in the OP's house?  Git outta there!

bearone2
        Contributor III

looking for vitamins....chocolate chip cookies!!