Forum Discussion

JimDeane
New Contributor III
11 months ago

Packet Loss and Low Upload Speeds

Hello Friends,

Woke up this morning with terrible packet loss and very slow upload speeds. Got on with Tech support, they had me change my modem, did that, still terrible. Tried multiple devices, wi-fi connections, direct connection. Can't use any voice chat software with the crazy packet loss. Called tech support again, they said I need to upgrade my service as well. I'm using an Arris Surfboard AC1900, was before, just an older model. I have reset and reconnected everything. Any thoughts?

I am having upwards of 50% outbound packet loss on discord when speaking, and getting speed test results of 50-200mbps DL and .19-.46Mbps UL.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

22 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

How do you signal levels look? What model modem do you have exactly? If SBG6900 see instructions here.

JimDeane
      New Contributor III

I have an SBG6950AC2. When I get back to the house I will grab the signal levels

JimDeane
    New Contributor III

I don't know how to post a photo here, but the only thing that looks like it's out of range on power level is the upstream, at 42.75 dBmV, guide recommends 45 to 52 dBmV, but I'm unsure what this means, everything else look in the proper range. I have 4 upstream channels, frequencies are 17-36mhz

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

To post images in the Internet forum:

• Click the "click to join" banner at bottom of page.  (This is Internet forum).

To prevent notifications for every post in the Internet forum:

• Select "Internet" at top of this page to display Internet home page.
      • Click "Turn Reply notifications off" in lower right of Internet home page.

Each of the above steps only needs to be done once.

To turn notifications back on for every post in the Internet forum (at any time):

• Select "Internet" at top of this page to display Internet home page.
      • Click "Turn Reply notifications on" in lower right of Internet home page.

Repeat the above for each forum as desired (TV Forum, Internet, Phone, Apps).

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Looks good to me too. Try Pingplotter to Discord or 8.8.8.8 and then File > Share > Create share page. That will show where the packet loss is. 

Velisa_D
    New Contributor

Having the same issue here in Moore, OK! Got a new modem and STILL having issues. I have called customer service MULTIPLE times the last week and a half. There was reported interruptions in my area and they said they fixed it at 1:13 am this morning , but ilmy internet is STILL not working correctly. Have a tech coming out tomorrow just to look at my brand new modem..just for him to probably tell me that there is nothing wrong with it and that we are going to have to have someone else come out. I'm so tired of COX! 

LatitiaS
      Hi Velisa,

I am sorry to learn of your service troubles and hope the tech was able to resolve your issue. Should you still need assistance, please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com. We would be more than happy to help.

Latitia
      Cox Support Forums Moderator