Forum Discussion

brian_dean
New Contributor
3 years ago

Packet Loss and Latency Part 2!

Packet Loss and Latency

Tiff we dig that from you, but this is a year ago, it's been a year since my speeds sucked it wasn't my modem wasn't wireless was not the router, infact I will never bypass and I don't suggest it .. to the modem ! bah

We've seen an increase in internet traffic as people have shifted their work and school activities home in response to Coronavirus.  You may be experiencing impacts in your neighborhood at certain times of day, and that can be frustrating. Our engineers are working to provide the best possible experience.  In the meantime, here are a few things you can do to help resolve Packet Loss and Latency.   

1. Check your connections: Please ensure that your connections are secured, your cables are undamaged and are in good health, and bypass any splitters by making a connection directly from the wall to the modem. ** NO **?
  2. Restart your system: Please reboot the modem (and router) by unplugging the power to the modem (and router) for 30 seconds and then reconnect it. ** it's Linux server headless, should i bounce it for your tech??
  3. Make a wired connection: Connect a computer or device directly to the modem using an ethernet cable. Make sure that WiFi is turned off on your device. If you are unable to make a wired connection, check out Fixing Slow WiFi for tips and tricks on how to ensure you have the best connection from your WiFi. ** Test from a server or workstation plugged closest to the router as possible. 
  4. Bypass Router: If you are using a stand-alone router, try bypassing it. You can connect via a wired connection directly to the modem. You may need to reboot the modem again to re-establish a handshake with the new device connected. ** don't listen to this **.. come on. If you know your router worked and works and isn't what is they ask now, is it 2-3 years old, yes but it's cisco? before they bough linksys!
  5. Perform a speed test: Run a speed test at Cox Speedtest. Then check out this article on Understanding Speed Test Results. ** ok if you do not know any of this,  you don't have internet speed issues. How would know ever know there's 8 bits in a byte and yet a gig is 1000? not 1024? I beg to differ. Again this is to save 24KB per 1 GB, let's see if 8 bits in a byte yet a K is 1000? I am not following isn't that there is 8 bits in a byte and each number can hold 0 - 255, go read for eff's sake.
  6. Report the issue to Cox: If you are still having trouble, please email cox at Cox.help@cox.com with the steps that you have taken and your address to be investigated. ** Start here: just report the issue at least via chat!!! 
No RepliesBe the first to reply