Keldel01
New Contributor
7 years ago

Outgoing server errors (??)

continue to receive a message asking me to enter my user name and password: 

Server: smtp.cox.net

User Name:  XXXX

Password: XXXX

I have entered my user name and password over and over and I still can not send emails from outlook computer or Apple 8Plus phone.  I have verified I am using the correct servers and have set up my email two times.  Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • You are not alone.  Both my husband and myself have had issues for weeks. A level 2 tech actually called him back twice today and got his email working and his password changed. But while using it...with outlook 2016....he is constantly asked for password.

our "parent" account works normally, but my email has a funky password assigned by tech and I cannot change t, nor can I view my profile on the parent account.

.we've been dealing with this for weeks.

on the upside...our webmail stayed up all day today! No "aw snap" messages. 

• Cox no longer allows GROUP EMAILS to more than 9 recipients from a cox.net address from your home computer mail program. My issue is that NONE of your techs know this! I spent hours trying to trouble shoot it on my end.....only to find out COX Administration decided to make this change WITHOUT telling the customers OR their own COX employees. I was finally advised by a COX Tier 2 tech upon filing a formal complaint (and after calling 10 times) to open a Gmail account because COX no longer allows group emails larger than 9. It is heartbreaking to me that COX does not tell their customers the truth. The poor customers don't know what happened and are frantically trying to troubleshoot the issue! Just tell them!!! Send a memo to COX employees so they will tell customers. COX wasted several days of my time. And I am just one of a lot of people having the same issue!
  • Keldel01,

Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with a screenshot of your settings. Also, www.cox.com/secureemail is a good resource to verify email server settings and ports as well.

Sktegge
    New Contributor

I too am experiencing the same issues with not being able to send outgoing messages via my iphone. This has only been an issue lately. I have deleted my account and readded it without success. I have cross referenced both my incoming and outgoing mail settings:

incoming mail server:

host name: imap.cox.net

Outgoing mail server:

host name: smtp.cox.net

use SSL is selected

server port: 465

My search has concluded this is not an isolated error. Several users are experiencing similar issues. Has anyone been able to find a fix? 

"the connection to the server "smtp.cox.net" on port 465 timed out"

• @sktegge,

Please make sure that the username/login does not include the @cox.net in the name. If it does, please remove it. Also, are you able to access and send emails through our website?

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

• My friend was at my house last week and got the error message when trying to send his group email out through my Cox WiFi. He sent it out today from his house.....and it worked! He has Cox, too, but he pays for the expensive speed and I pay for the lower priced speed. I did have one tech tell me to pay for faster internet and it might work. Is that what COX has done? Cut the number of group emails down to 9 for those of us who can't afford to buy the fastest speeds? I don't know what has happened, but I signed up for Gmail account and it works through my low priced Cox internet service. I sent out an email to a group of 80 yesterday. I don't get it??
    CAST
    New Contributor

I, too, am VERY FRUSTRATED with cox. On Friday I was sending out group emails with more than 9 in the group. Then all of a sudden all of my outgoing emails were sitting in the Outbox. Processing....processing.....processing.....ERROR.  Even emails going to ONE email address would not get sent. Now I can't get ANY emails to send !!!!!!  I've checked my settings recommended by cox on forum. I wasted SO MUCH TIME going back and forth on my Outlook 2016 and myemail.cox to send out emails because not all of my email addresses are on myemail.cox. All of these troubles started when the security settings changed. Maybe it's time to change internet service!

CAST

mfmaricle
    New Contributor

I also have this problem using the Apple Mail client on 2 Macs in the house using 2 Cox email addresses, and using Kmail email client in Kubuntu Linux. These mail clients can send via other smpt servers, but not through smtp.cox.net. Also, an iPhone fails to send when using house WiFi, which routes through Cox internet services, but the same iPhone succeeds sending through AT&T mobile phone service when the WiFi is turned off on the phone. This started yesterday.

Outgoing mail server: smtp.cox.net port 465, with SSL selected, user name and password unchanged from when it worked.  And, the username and password work on the iPhone when sending through AT&T mobile phone service.

Is smtp access being blocked when using the Cox internet service?

• mfmaricle

You can try port 587 with TLS/SSL enabled for Apple devices, that may work. Please reach back out here and let us know if that works.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • CAST,

We're aware of the issue and working to resolve it. In the meantime, I suggest moving any emails in your outbox that are set to deliver to a group of more than 9 to your drafts folder, or delete them. This should allow you to resume sending messages to single recipients and groups under 9.