Forum Discussion

jimshoot
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Outgoing Email (SMTP) Failure

I am relieved to see that others are having the same problem I am. Yesterday I had a chat session with Cox agent Bryan V, and he confirmed that Cox engineers are working to fix the problem and that it isn't on my end. Today I chatted again, this time with Cox agent Julie V. I was hoping just to get an update on the problem. Instead, she completely misunderstood the problem I was describing, going so far as to tell me that I should contact my email client provider, because it wasn't a Cox problem! My wife and I both have secondary Cox email addresses. We don't use the primary address, even though it exists. My address is the one getting the failure, while my wife's address is working fine (same house and Cox account). I wish there was a place I could look just to get the current status on the problem, but I haven't found such a place. Is there one? Overall I've been pretty satisfied with Cox for many years, but this failure that has prevented me from sending messages for more than a day is getting irritating!

--Jim--

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    jimshoot
    New Contributor II

Good news (I think). Three important email messages that have been sitting in my Outbox since yesterday just got moved to the Sent folder! I think Cox SMTP is up and running. Anybody else see this?

--Jim--

jimshoot
      New Contributor II

I may have spoken too soon. Still evaluating. I can confirm that two of the three messages that moved from Outbox to Sent have not arrived at their intended destinations.

MyPlanet
    New Contributor

I can confirm that the issue is with COX as I installed another email client and it simply cannot connect to smtp.cox.net and log in.  This is soooooo frustrating. 

leatherlady
      New Contributor III

Thanks Myplanet.  Cox keeps telling me that it's my problem, not theirs. I am in NV. 

Prolifeinaz
    New Contributor

I still cannot send email as of this minute.  I also talked to support this morning, and was told that Cox was aware and working on it.  

leatherlady
      New Contributor III

Prolifeinaz, Thanks for your input.  It's helpful to know that this is a Cox issue and not a user one.  Let's all keep each other updated as this thing progresses. BTW, I am in NV.

leatherlady
    New Contributor III

Jim I have the same problem which appeared yesterday.  I use a Mac desktop and an Ipad.  Both have the same issue, mail can be received but not sent.  I've talked to two reps and had a lengthy live chat yesterday, but none of them really knows what's going on and can't offer any solutions other than saying to be sure to install any updates. One rep denied it was a Cox issue.  Very frustrating.  Mail just goes to the outbox and remains there.