Forum Discussion

Callias
New Contributor
7 years ago

Outgoing Email from Outside US

I travel quite frequently and have ZERO problems inside the US sending or receiving emails on my Cox.net account.

HOWEVER, ever since the formal cut over last month, I can NOT send email using anything but webmail.  All of my settings are completely normal on my laptop, my iPhone, etc.  But I log in fine, but when I send the email - it says it went AND goes into my sent items folder, but the email is NEVER delivered anywhere.

Here are my outgoing SMTP mail server settings that work perfect inside the US:

• server name:  smtp.cox.net
  • port: 465
  • security:  SSL with username and password required.

I repeat - everything works perfect INSIDE the US; once I try to send email outside the US - nothing is delivered anywhere.  From my days as a MCSE, I would state that this is not an end-user issue since nothing but geography has changed, but rather a network configuration or mail server setting issue.

Any suggestions/thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies

• There is an added layer of security when outside of the U.S. that may prevent you from sending email. We can put in a ticket to have the IP address that you are emailing from white-listed for up to 60 days. If you are not currently out of the country, you would likely need to send it to us after you get there as you would need to have the IP address of the connection that you are sending from. You can email us at cox.help@cox.com with a link to this thread along with the country you are located in (outside of the U.S.), home address, PIN, email address you are sending from, IP address (this can be located at www.whatismyip.com) and if the IP address is DHCP or static.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Ronnie_T_
    New Contributor

There is an added layer of security when outside of the U.S. that may prevent you from sending email. We can put in a ticket to have the IP address that you are emailing from white-listed for up to 60 days. If you are not currently out of the country, you would likely need to send it to us after you get there as you would need to have the IP address of the connection that you are sending from. 

BRIAN,   I AM OUTSIDE OF THE COUNTRY AND CANNOT SEND YOU AN EMAIL!  $%^&*(You can email us at cox.help@cox.com with a link to this thread along with the country you are located in (outside of the U.S.), home address, PIN, email address you are sending from, IP address (this can be located at www.whatismyip.com) and if the IP address is DHCP or static.)

THIS PROBLEM CONTINUES AFTER YEARS OF NOTHING FROM COX.  YOU NEED TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OR ELSE....  SO FRUSTRATING....   CAN RECEIVE BUT NOT SEND EMAIL.   PLEASE FIX THIS FOR ME NOW!!!   ronthomaspei@cox.net......................... Thanks, RT

Callias
    New Contributor

Brian - no offense, but that's absurd.  My other various emails - google.com, my company email, etc. don't have this.

And I certainly travel constantly (let me put it to you this way...I'll be back in the US around Easter) to multiple countries.

Having to constantly call with my IP address from this hotel or that client site or when using my iPhone near this cell tower...seriously?  You know that's just plain not going to work.

This level of security needs to be rethought in a globalized, multi-national world where your customers travel and access/use email outside of the United States on their smartphones and laptops.

Now, what other technology solutions does Cox have?  Perhaps you have separate server with more stringent AV, AM, et all on it that I should be pointing to rather than the default home customer server?

Callias
    New Contributor

Yeah, no kidding. This is deeply troubling that Cox has set up such a parochial security environment in a globalize, multinational world. It's like they just assumed their customers wouldn't travel outside the continental US....?