Forum Discussion

stabone99
New Contributor
5 years ago

New Build Home - Cable Needed

I have a new build home which I've ran all of the wiring for home stereo and cat 6.  I need to run additional cable to the outside of the house for Cox to connect internet (and TV even though we don't use it).  Is the only cable needed just a single RG-6 to the outside of the house?  

4 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, we recommend sending out a service technician to investigate further. If a new drop needs to be connected from the outside of your home to one of our local taps, this will need to be done by one of our certified technicians. If you're referring to the demarcation point (where outside wiring meets inside wiring), we still recommend sending out a service technician to the home. To schedule a service appointment, please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    rbard521
    New Contributor

Yes, while you are running all your cables yourself.. you need to run one RG-6 cable outside on that wall where all your utilties will be..you should run a Cat 6 cable with your RG-6 cable in case you want to change internet company.in the future. are you putting all your cat 6 runs to a center location where your modem will be installed..

stabone99
      New Contributor

Yes, I've run all cat 6 cables to the basement where they will all be connected to a switch.  I'll then run a RG-6 cable for Cox and at least one other cat 6 cable for our competitor.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Research who has service in your area...and if the service-provider(s) have fiber.  You're researching fiber-to-the-x (FTTX)..."x" being how far the fiber reaches towards your house:  zone, node, curb, home.  If a provider has fiber to your curb...bury fiber in your yard.