Forum Discussion

Dusah
New Contributor II
2 years ago
Solved

Need port forwarding. App is dead. Is it possible?

192.168.0.1 tells me to go to wifi.cox.com. wifi.cox.com tells me to download the app. The app says "Sorry, we're having some trouble XDXDXD our bad lol. Please call 1-800-234-3993". I call that number, and it rings until Verizon says the call can't be completed.

I talked with the chat on the website here, and they basically said "not my department."

I've been trying to get this working for 3 days now. I need port forwarding. This is absurd. Is there any way to chuck this modem and get one that lets me configure it without getting jerked around by 15 services?

• Return the gateway and buy yourself a stand alone modem and router(assuming you don't have wireless boxes or cloud DVR). I suggest the Arris S33 and Asus RT-AX86u but that may be overkill for your service. What speed do you pay for? Asus makes it easy with their Open NAT feature which automatically sets the forward rules by selecting the game/app. You can still manually set rules if you prefer though.

21 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Return the gateway and buy yourself a stand alone modem and router(assuming you don't have wireless boxes or cloud DVR). I suggest the Arris S33 and Asus RT-AX86u but that may be overkill for your service. What speed do you pay for? Asus makes it easy with their Open NAT feature which automatically sets the forward rules by selecting the game/app. You can still manually set rules if you prefer though.

Dusah
      New Contributor II

I'm a fan of that plan. How does buying a modem work? Do I have to go through Cox directly?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Nope. Any normal DOCSIS modem that you buy from Amazon/Bestbuy/Walmart/etc will work. See here for a full list. If budget is a concern, the SB8200 is a little bit cheaper but doesn't have a 2.5Gbps port for futureproofing. Then you just call Cox and give them the modem's model number, serial number and MAC address. Should only take a few minuets for them to add the modem. Just be warned, giving up the Panoramic gateway means your giving up all support from Cox, minus this forum.

• HI Dusah. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Why does he need port forwarding? The ONLY reason I can think of, is remote access to a computer. XBOX and Playstation tell people ALL the time port forwarding is necessary, BUT, it's ONLY necessary when connection is initiated from a remote device. If the device in question initiates the communication, the router will auto forward all traffic to and from the devices correctly. Unless it's a bad router. I have tested the pw3 and previous pano modems with xbox and playstation 2/3/4/5 out of the box, and connected without issue. My current modem is the DG2460 which was an earlier model of pano modem, and I can play on any gaming system, plug and play, no changes required.