Forum Discussion

DiamondDoug
New Contributor
4 months ago

Multiple Routers

With everything coming out smart and requiring Internet connectivity, I feel my Router has too much connected to it.  Therefore, I am setting up another router off of a single Modem via a Gigabyte splitter.  However, during the setup only one router carries an internet connection.  The other does not.  Is this a problem with Cox Internet Service only allowing a single router off of a modem?

3 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

::edit:: I am going to assume you mean a ethernet switch and not a splitter. If so, that won't work because Cox only allows 1 public IP per modem. You could get a room mate account with a 2nd modem and router but that would cost more. You could also switch to Cox Business which allow for multiple IPs but that also usually cost more.

As for your problem, what model router to you have and how much do you have connected to it? You might be able to buy a Access point to both extend your wireless range and capacity.

• It is a splitter (1-2).  Modem Netgear to splitter to 2 routers (C6700 (netgear) and AX1200 (netgear)).  Both are working (Wifi networks visible and devices will connect to each network).  AX1200 does not have the internet access.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I see. Ethernet splitters don't work well in my experience and bottle neck both connections to 100Mbps. That is why I thought you meant switch. Anyway, that isn't your problem. See my edit above for explanation.

I would suggest turning one of the routers into AP mode and run a ethernet wire(from the other router) to either your dead zone or where you have the most devices. See here for instructions.