Forum Discussion

DLabit29
Contributor
4 years ago

Less bandwidth, less congestion?

my router has a feature that optimizes bufferbloat by adjusting bandwidth accordingly. 

Apparently preventing network bottleneck. 

My question is: im on gigabit speeds. 

Would dropping to the 500mbps plan help mitigate some if this congestion for smoother signal?

12 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Do you mean downgrading your Cox data plan from gigabit to 500 Mbps?  Router aside, have you ever measured anything above 850-900 Mbps at your modem?

Downgrading won't cure congestion; however, if Cox can't deliver, I'd downgrade to whatever you've been measuring.  If you're only getting 300 Mbps, downgrade to the 300-plan.

DLabit29
      Contributor

The most i get is 600.

You think i would still get 500 at 500 plan?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

If you've been on gigabit for a month or more but never get gigabit speed, that'd be my reason to downgrade.  The odds of you getting closer to 500 than 1000 seems better.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

As far as this BufferBloat feature, has 1 server ever been a problem?  It appears to be the entire Cox connection to be the bulk of the reported problems.  I mean...when has Netflix been screaming but Youtube at a crawl?  I think both would be at a crawl, no?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Who installed your tap?  What happens if you replace the tap with your splitter?  Where does the second leg of the tap go?