Just upgraded to Gigablast but speeds way below Gigabit (suspect maybe backend modem configuration issue)
I'll try and keep it as brief as possible with providing as much detail as possible.
The other day when I logged in to my account to pay my bill I saw a banner that Gigablast (DOCSIS not fiber) was available in my area, so I jumped on it. I was previously on the Ultimate getting the full 300 down, so didn't think there would be any issues.
To make a long story short, after getting the required modem (actually tried 2 and I'll explain more in an moment) provisioned, I was only getting max speeds of 500-600 via my router, quite short of the Gigabit I was expecting. The funny thing is when connecting a laptop directly to the modem (no router) - it's topping out at 300-400.
So after a couple of hours with Gigablast tech support on the phone - we determined it was best to send a tech out to check the physical lines because they couldn't see anything on their end.
Next morning the tech arrives and checks the lines - with his handheld he's getting a full Gig down as expected. For good measure he replaced some of the cable from the wall and same cabling outside to make sure all was good there. Afterwards, checked with his meter and getting a full Gig. So then he grabs his own Cox-issued laptop, we connect the modem and it's only topping out at 300-400 again - so he sees that I wasn't smoking crack.
I mentioned before we tried 2 modems. I had actually purchased a brand new Netgear CM1000 which we tried first, and then switched to the Cox-issued Arris TM3402EMTA since we also have Cox phone. Same exact behavior. Topping out at 300-400 direct to laptop with both modems (and yes all laptops being tested were using gigabit NICs).
So the tech called it in to his supervisor and found out a couple other techs ran into similar issues and haven't yet found a resolution. So last thing he did is formally escalate to his supervisor (which I would assume is L2 field support) which is where it sits now and I'm waiting to hear back.
I did some research myself on the forums and saw there were a few others that seemed to have similar issues, but the threads were locked before I saw any sort of resolution. So while waiting I decided to do a little digging on my own and was looking at the modem logs. Since the lines are clean and the behavior is exhibiting itself on multiple laptops, that pretty much leaves just the modem and the backend pieces it's communicating with as the logical culprits.
So interestingly enough I saw the following errors in the log (just cut the last relevant pieces on the last modem reboot and redacted my MAC information). Seems as if there may be some problems with the modem getting a proper or correct configuration file from the backend. I have read that certain TLV-11 messages are normal because of multiple vendor config files, but the "Config File Rejected" error which is a Event Level 3 (Critical) seemed like that wasn't just a typical "Ok to ignore" type of message as well as the "Configuration File Error- Bad Parameter" errors.
I work in IT, but I'm not a WAN expert, so I could be barking up the wrong tree which is why I wanted to see if anyone else has run into the same issues? My thought is since Gigablast is just being released in my area there could be some backend equipment that maybe hasn't been updated or misconfigured (learning curve).
In the end - I was really excited to finally make the leap to Gig speeds, and am pretty bummed if they can't get this going.
|Date Time||Event ID||Event Level||Description|
|8/22/2018 13:44||90000000||5||MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=<REDACTED>;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;|
|8/22/2018 13:44||73040100||6||TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=<REDACTED>;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;|
|8/22/2018 13:44||68001102||3||Config File Rejected due to Invalid or Unexpected TLV 11;CM-MAC=<REDACTED>;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;|
|8/22/2018 13:44||82000200||3||No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=<REDACTED>;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;|
|Date Time||Event ID||Description|
|8/22/2018 13:45||4000950905||Configuration File Error- Bad Parameter|
|8/22/2018 13:45||16||MTA TFTP: Successful|
|8/22/2018 13:45||4000951501||Provisioning Complete - Warnings|
|8/22/2018 13:45||26||MTA PROV: Successful!|
|8/22/2018 13:45||3||Voice Line State Change, Line Number = 1, Prev State = OOS, New State = IS|
|8/22/2018 13:45||3||Voice Line State Change, Line Number = 2, Prev State = OOS, New State = IS|