Forum Discussion

katielynn
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Internet was slow with cox modem, why?

Has anyone else had problems with their cox modem? Had mine for a year then suddenly started cutting internet in and out. They did a "health check" and said it was unhealthy and sent me a "brand new one". the new one did the same. they did a health check and said it was fine and wanted to schedule a technician because my internet was also lagging. I bought a third party modem and my internet is great again. Was it my modem or a screw up on their part?

7 Replies

Duckie
    New Contributor

I have gigablast from cox and as of the last few months it has sucked. are speed went from 850MBs to now 117MBs and upload went form 37.17MBs to now 6.84MBs.  called cox all they say is restart the modem. nothing changes. and the speed test is done at night so there are less ppl on line in my area.  

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Too bad you didn't post on here with the first modem.

I wouldn't think a modem would go bad after a year.  It's hard to tell what corrected your problem because swapping modems rebuilds your network connection to Cox.

Was the second modem the same make/model as the first?

I guess to answer your question:  it was bad advice from Cox to replace your first modem.  "Unhealthy" is not a thing for a modem unless it's overheating or shorted.

katielynn
      New Contributor II

It was the same make and model. I am not sure what was wrong. It was what I was told and they wanted to send a tech out and I didn't believe I needed it. I bought a third party and it was fine. Couldn't get any real help with customer service or tech support

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

No real help seems to be a recent trend.

What's the make/model of the second modem?

Can you return it to Cox due to erroneous advice?

What modem do you have now?  Just curious (nosy).