Forum Discussion

jselph17
New Contributor
5 years ago

How to change external router IP?

Hello, all.

Is it possible for me to change the IP address of my router? I have the router/modem combo from Cox currently. I've read that if you change the MAC address of the router, it should pick up a new IP address. However, it isn't letting me change the MAC on this router. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Does anyone have any proven ideas on how I can do this? 

4 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox doesn't assign an IP address to your router.  Cox assigns 1 public IP address to your modem and I doubt its NIC is programmable...so you can't change the MAC. 

If you want to change the IP address of your router, it'd be within the router settings.  What is the make/model of your device?

If you only want to change the public address of your modem, unplug it for a few hours.  However, unplugging is no guarantee because Cox may assign you the same IP.

jselph17
      New Contributor

I apologize, I was talking about the public address of the modem. Yes, I've heard that the other solution is to leave it off for a few hours. I suppose I could try that. I just wish there was a more sure way.

I don't know very much about networking, to be honest, but would getting another modem and router do the trick? I was planning on getting a dedicated router and modem anyway to replace this router/modem combo I received from Cox.  

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

To echo Kevin, why change your public IP address?

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @jselph17, what prompts you to want to change the IP Address? To change the IP Address, I recommend leaving the modem unplugged for a minimum of 48 hours. Once the modem goes online, you may receive a new IP Address, however, there is no guarantee.

The world is running out of IPv4 addresses. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator