Forum Discussion

Jay812
New Contributor
9 months ago

Home network

I have a home network I'm trying to setup. I really have very little network experience. I know what most of the hardware is/does but I don't know the settings well. So here is what I have.

Dell R620 16 core 128 g memory, 2.4 TB storage. Running esxi 9 OS to handle virtual machines. I'm planning on developing a locally stored generative ai personal assistant.

HP 2530-24 switch

And my main computer: Asus tuf a17. 2tb storage, 64 gb memory.

I have it all hooked up through the switch but I don't know how to setup the ability to access the server remotely with my laptop. I want to access it directly like a web page interface. Or something like that. I don't know what would be better.

If anyone has any ideas or can offer some good advice on how to proceed.

7 Replies

Jay812
    New Contributor

Oh I forgot that I recently got a Coral USB accelerator to help with ML for the AI development. I need to figure out how to connect it to the server since I'm using Debian Linux VM to develope the generative ai on.

• It would probably also help to know what you're using for a router/gateway.  I see no indication this switch is layer 3 so it's only going to pass packets from port to port at the layer 2 level.  How you access the server itself will depend on what methods of access you've configured.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Nice setup. I would ensure that the server is at minimum running a 10GB ethernet, if it's the one with the 1gb ethernet it needs to be upgraded. Also, your storage is low for AI. I played with a neural network once, and it can use a boatload of storage. 

What's handling the IP assignments? What router, or are you using dhcp on the server?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

ewwwwww. AND I just realized even though someone else already mentioned it, layer 2?? He's gonna hamstring himself with that. My computer running vmware has a 2.5gb ethernet and it's pushing it when I have multiple vm's running to other systems in the home.  1gb, it's gonna be painful.