Forum Discussion

BlackWat3r
New Contributor III
5 years ago
Solved

High Ping & Packet Loss - Confirmed Cox is Throttling

I have had cox for 6 months now, have the 150 down plan. The first 4 months I have zero connectivity problems, zero ping problems, and zero packet loss issues. Starting exactly two months ago on a ...
    5 years ago

After another day of major packet loss I started doing more research. I have come across hundreds, if not thousands, of other Cox users having my exact problem just within the last year alone, this is a widespread issue.

I now believe this is a form of traffic throttling by Cox and there is nothing you can do but switch ISP.

See this explanation below:

When you connect to the Internet, your traffic travels through your Internet service provider’s network before it leaves your ISP’s network and travels over another provider’s network. ISPs may sometimes degrade performance at these interconnection points unless the other provider pays an additional toll to the ISP.

The Internet Health Test by Battle for the Net checks your Internet connection to see if there are problems at “interconnection points”. By checking a number of different routes, the tool will detect whether you’re experiencing degraded performance at one or more interconnection points.

The tool performances a number of different speed tests across different networks. If all of them are fast, you’re not experiencing this problem.

My results from this test: Speed Test Results

Average Speed

13.85 Mbps

I am supposed to get 150 Mbps