Forum Discussion

sethm1
Contributor
2 days ago

Help with Thunderbird

Cox folks suggested I post here as they ran out of ideas.

I have 2 accounts set up in TB - a Gmail address and a Cox address. Naturally I can send & receive emails via the Cox email address, but for Gmail address I can only receive.  When I attempt to send an email I get this msg:  

"ending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: Request failed; Mailbox unavailable. Please verify that your email address is correct in your account settings and try again."

The last communication was to delete the password and then re-enter it.  So 2 questions. 1) is the P/W my gmail password or my cox/yahoo P/W. 2) where in TB do I reenter the P/W. 

of course I have no idea if thats even going to work.  AND if any one has similar TB & Gmail issues, can you share what settings you changed? 

• Hi, there. The password you are being asked to provide would be the Gmail password, as per your text. You will want to ensure that Thunderbird is actually using the SMTP server for your Gmail account and not Yahoo. I hope this helps. Also, Gmail will accept either the full Gmail address or the prefix for the username.