Forum Discussion

Alex521
New Contributor
5 years ago

Gigablast WiFi super slow

My wife and I pay extra money every month for the Gigablast because it was supposed to be able to support all of our devices but ever since we’ve had it we have to pause devices and disconnect others just so the ones we’re using at the moment can function semi properly. We live in a small house so I thought maybe that might be interfering but we’ve had WiFi here before and it’s never been this bad. Is there an extension for the cords for the modem so i could move it closer to the bedrooms? I have the Technicolor CGM4140COM Gateway that came with the gigablast installment 

4 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't understand.  This doesn't sound like the commercials promoting Panoramic.

You don't need the Technicolor for 1 Gbps service.  You only need a Cox compatible modem.  After purchasing your own modem, you can purchase a better router...perhaps from the same manufacturer of your previous wireless router.

Alex521
      New Contributor

It was just the one they gave us when they installed the WiFi. I really don’t know much about modems or routers. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

To troubleshoot your network, you have to distinguish 2 separate networks.  You have the Cox public network and your private network.  Although you have a combo device (modem/router), the separation point is the modem.

The modem connects your network to the Internet via Cox.  The router connects together your devices as well as connects your devices to the modem.

To do a speed test, you must get as close to the modem as possible.  Meaning, directly connect your computer to an Ethernet port on the modem with an Ethernet cable.

You'll need a computer with an Ethernet port (Gigabit Ethernet) and an Ethernet cable (one should have came with the Panoramic).  After you're connected, turn off your WiFi so nothing will interfere (consume bandwidth) during your test.

If you're getting acceptable speeds (~800 Mbps down; ~30 Mbps up), the Cox network is good.  You'd then troubleshoot your network (WiFI).