Forum Discussion

omahaomaha
New Contributor
4 years ago

Gigablast requires Panoramic Wifi Modem? That's what she said.

I have just been through the most frustrating ordeal. I swear that Cox uses the "runaround", and dropped calls on hold just as a way to make people give up. Here's the short version (the long version consists of long hold times with disconnects -- nothing says "my customer is important" like having them hold for 40 minutes and then disconnecting them, long chats, texts, and more calls):

When trying to switch from Cox Panorama modem to Arris SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 (purchased from BestBuy, not Cox), Cox Tech Support told me that my account was somehow "special", and that I HAVE to use a modem rented or purchased from Cox. When I told them this was NOT the case, they gave me a number for "customer retention". 

Retention told me that the ONLY SUPPORTED MODEM for Gigablast is the Cox Panorama, which of course, is only available for rental from Cox at 10.99 a month. This is BLATANTLY FALSE! I confirmed the SB8200 was Gigablast certified before purchasing it. Here's the link of certified modems. https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html. The "retention" agent told me that must be an out of date document, that the "system" says Panorama is required.

So, I can't use my own modem (which would pay for itself in 8 months of rentals), instead I have to use the Panorama with Wifi disabled (I bought Eero mesh and Arris SB8200 to replace the Panoramic). Is anyone able to help me with this?

11 Replies

dundee2002
    New Contributor II

I contacted many cox agents and most of them told they cannot activate my own modem because my account is special. I need to use a rentan modem or call to another yech support. I tried again and again, and eventually one agent successfully activate my modem. I think there’s a big difference in knowledge among agents. I guess all other guys just tried to replace the modem in the account but the last guy stop/reinitiate the service with new modem.

omahaomaha
      New Contributor

I can't keep calling again and again, I'm about to have an aneurysm... I'm pretty sure CenturyLink has Gig service in my neighborhood now, and it's a lot cheaper (like $69 a month vs. $100+). I didn't want to go through the pain of switching, but the Cox runaround is painful. And I do not like being lied to. So, off to investigate CenturyLink. If Cox made this easy, I wouldn't even be looking. 

Andrew_Wees
        Contributor III

why is your account special?  What other cox services do you have?

calcal23
    New Contributor

omahaomaha

That's total BS and a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money.  I have my own cable modem and router and I've never heard of a special account.  Now I have heard of a roommate account, where you can have more that 1 service in a residence.  Perhaps that's what they were referring to.  But you can use any approved modem for your service tier based on Cox's own website.  I have gigablast service myself.  I know of a firmware certifier for Cox and he's quite knowledgeable.  He tests cable modems mostly but some combination modem/routers too.  Don't be fooled by some knucklehead in customer support that doesn't know what they are talking about.  Request to speak to a level-2 supervisor immediately, and tell the initial rep that they can't help you at all.  You've been through this before.  All the initial support contact does is try to upsell you and get you to use their equipment for a monthly rental fee.  It's more money for them.  Hell, you should know just how expensive it is just to have internet service.  More and more people are going to internet only, so Cox will jack up the price on that standalone service to maximize profits.  It's all about $$$ with a large corporation.  Let's see if someone from customer service or an admin on the forums reads this and puts you in contact with the appropriate level of tech support, without charging extra money.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The rep lied to you.  These reps are charged to nickle-and-dime you through rental fees and superfluous services to increase revenue.  You'll need to keep fighting the runaround try escalating to a supervisor.

BBS
    New Contributor

I have my own ariris sb-8200 with gigablast. I finally went to the COX store and discussed. The online and phone operators/salespeoples were less than honest almost 100% of the time. 

SharonL
    Former Moderator
    Hello

I am sorry you have had this experience with us. I would like to see what I can do to help you. This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Thank you.

Sharon
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Contact tech support not customer service. Customer service agents are idiots. Let tech support know you purchased your own DOCS3.1 modem and want it setup to replace the Panorama. But if you have digital telephone with Cox they probably will require you to have the Panorama because you need it for the phone line. Check to make sure they aren't charging you for telephone service.