Forum Discussion

Han_SoStoned
New Contributor
5 years ago

Gigablast is SUPER SLOW 10-15 MBPS Download and 10 MBPS Upload

I've been experiencing snail pace connection speeds for the past few weeks so I upgraded to Gigablast after attempting some troubleshooting steps. (troubleshooting steps taken: power cycled all devices in home, switched from cox provided modem/router combo to my personal modem and router, power cycled devices a second time.) After attempting all the basic troubleshooting steps and even upgrading to Gigablast my connection speed got worse. I originally had the internet only plan beneath the Gigablast plan and was getting an average of 30 MBPS download and 20 MBPS upload, after the upgrade my the results were cut in half. With Gigablast I am currently getting 10-15 MBPS download and 10 MBPS upload. Someone please help, I've spoken to 4 separate supposed "Tech Support Agents" and no one has done a single thing to help. They all just keep taking me through the same basic elementary troubleshooting steps that I have been doing for the past few weeks.

6 Replies

GDKantz
    New Contributor

I've had similar issues --- although mine are more.... erratic.  We've had known outages in the OKC area the past two days (well, since last week actually, but 3 outages in the last 24 hours as they've been tracking down a problem).

Right now, I'm getting a decent 400 MBps down and 40 Up --- which is about 45% of my normal d/l speed.

But...in an hour I might check, and have 30 MBps down and as little as .2MPbs up (yes, .2).

I've taken to running the speed test hourly (or more) and the results are completely erratic.

Strangely enough, I got a text this AM that outage in my area was cleared (it came in at 730 or so, but I didn't get it until 830.  I immediately rebooted the modem and computers, Amazon devices, etc.  None of my hubs/smart speakers could connect, computer was getting about 30down/1 up.

Got on the phone w/ customer service, and about time my call was taken in the queue, I ran a test and had a near perfect 930/40.

Before end of call...it was at 20 and .01 again.

They acknowledge difficulties in the area, and it was supposed to be back up by afternoon.

Afternoon came (w/ no text, I might not have opted in this time), and I rebooted and tested....and...it was terrible.

I ran maybe 10 tests in an hour....and it ranged from 400ish up/10 down to 30 up/.3 down --- and just about every range between.

Got on the chat advisor to talk to a tech --- as I couldn't find (on the website or on the app) whether the outage was cleared or not -- the outage check link just recycled to the tech support page w/o displaying any info.

They stated the service was (apparently) restored, although stated also that the techs might still be working.  ??????

As of now, I've had a moderately stable connection...but at only about 1/2 my normal speeds.

Will be contacting them again tomorrow if it's not back to normal..... this up/down isn't helping out the whole "work at home" thing.

Glenee
      Contributor II

I'm in Norman,Okla and I am experencing the same here. I went on a week long test and found it to be that the heavy times it is just like this. I don't think Cox has the capacity that they thought they did.

I am also sure it will get better,but it will take time.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi GDKantz, on 03/23 and 3/25, our maintenance teams were performing some infrastructure repairs in your area. Our records show that the outages have been cleared now. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com, should you need any additional assistance. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    p_pham
    New Contributor III

just report it to the FCC.  these guys at the top (managers/supervisors) are vultures.  they need a push from outside force to make them spit out the truth and compensate for our hard earn money.  the truth is everyone is using the internet now with the lock down, doesn't matter what plan u have it will be slow.  we pay a hefty price for a service and when that service cannot be delivered then we, as customers, should be compensated.  Those who do not complain or seek out the problem with them are just getting their money eaten up by these vultures.  I am getting 10 Mbps most of the time when I pay for 150Mbps.  Can't even work from home or do anything else when it fluctuates like that.

FCC link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests