Forum Discussion

jgourley
New Contributor II
5 months ago

Frequent internet disconnects

• Occurs many times a day at random for the past 2 weeks.
  • My PC is connected via wire, not wi-fi.
  • Devices connected via Wi-fi also experience the same problem.
  • I have tried connecting directly to the modem. The issue still occurs.
  • Resetting the modem corrects the issue.
  • Some of the time it will self-correct within a few minutes.

Modem Logs:

14:49:54
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:52:24
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:52:27
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:52:27
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:52:28
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:52:29
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:59:32
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:00:20
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:01:30
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:01:33
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:01:33
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:01:41
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:01:41
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:05:21
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:17:29
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:27:37
Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

Time Not Established

Notice (6)

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4

15:28:58
Fri Dec 15 2023

Warning (5)

DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:28:58
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:29:03
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:29:04
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 33; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:29:10
Fri Dec 15 2023

Warning (5)

RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Fri Dec 15 2023

Warning (5)

Dynamic Range Window violation

Fri Dec 15 2023

Critical (3)

15:30:00
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

US profile assignment change. US Chan ID: 8; Previous Profile: 13; New Profile: 9 13.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:33:00
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:33:21
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:33:23
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 16; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

15:34:13
Fri Dec 15 2023

Notice (6)

CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 24; Chan ID: 159; DSID: N/A; MAC Addr: N/A; OFDM/OFDMA Profile ID: 3.;CM-MAC=<redacted>;CMTS-MAC=<redacted>;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I have had this problem for awhile and has only gotten worse since their big upgrade 2 weeks ago. Frequent drops while I'm at work or in class (once while I was taking an exam). Their chat bot can't figure it out and when you do get a "Live Agent", they divert you to the app and receiving text alerts instead of just answering the question if they would actually give you compensation for loss of use.  I've been with Cox since the late 90's and it has never been this bad. This has to be filtering down from the Board and CEO. Changes like this over 30 years is a change in THEIR MISSION STATEMENT. 

jgourley
      New Contributor II

What state are you in? As someone who works from home the frequency this is happening is unacceptable. I am investigating all possible causes but if it turns out it is on their service end the only option will be to change providers.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

T3 are caused by noise on the upstream. Can you post your signal levels, specially your upstream? Looks like noise on your OFDMA causing error 16 and 24 too. Last, is the coaxial direct from the street or any splitters/amps? If not, you need a technician.

jgourley
      New Contributor II

Thank you for your time and assistance!

There's no amp involved. Between the street/modem there is 1 splitter however it does not have a line connected to one side of the splitter, and never has historically.

ExtraChrispy
        Contributor III

The error rates indicated on those legacy QAM channels are way beyond usable suggesting a signal impairment or equipment issue somewhere.  If you can't find any coax cabling or fitting issues, you may need to see about having a technician come out and investigate further.

jgourley
    New Contributor II

Any chance the error rates could indicate the modem is on its last leg so-to-say? Just curious if its worth my time ruling that out as a possibility. I'm not seeing any cabling or fitting issues in the lines. 

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

When you are experiencing a signal issue, it could be something between you and the provider including any and all RF cabling or the equipment on either end.  The equipment on the Cox end is not likely at issue otherwise there would be widespread localized reports of problems.  This leaves the modem with respect to an equipment issue, while not likely, it's possible.  I would not suggest buying a new modem to test this theory unless the modem you're using is otherwise obsolete in some way.  I see in your signal levels, OFDM support indicated so I would say based on that your modem is probably not functionally obsolete.

jgourley
    New Contributor II

Without any changes made on my side whatsoever the problem has vanished. The issue was occurring many times every day for a couple weeks, and its now been 3 days of no problems <taps on wood>. I'm guessing Cox eventually replaced failing equipment or lines that were the source of the sadness. I'll do a modem reset soon and gather some logs to see if I can verify things look better all around. Till then, keeping my fingers crossed. 

Happy holidays folks!

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

It's definitely a signal issue. Do you have other cable services in your home, indicating a splitter, or just the internet? I would start with replacing the cable wire from the modem to the wall jack, If there is a splitter, also try replacing it as well. Ensure any other cable connections in the home are snug, to help prevent ingress from compromising the signals as well. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

OP said they had a splitter and mentioned they would bypass it, but never confirmed that they did. My guess is there was some noise on the node the Cox cleared up. OP got lucky. Either that or the problem is intermittent and will come back.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Magical fixes bother me.