Forum Discussion

Joanne_B
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Excessive Spam

Is anyone else as annoyed as I am at the amount of spam we get in our Cox e-mail accounts every day?  I get about 10 times as many spam e-mails every day as I do real e-mails.  I've tried everything:  blocking the senders (after a while Cox won't let you add more to your list of blocked senders), forwarding the spam I get every day to "spamreport@cox.net" - but nothing ever happens.

I've called Cox countless times and talked to their phone reps.  They don't have any solutions other than to block the senders and forward all spam to "spamreport@cox.net."  But this does nothing.  I even wrote a letter and sent it by US mail to Cox headquarters.  They didn't even answer that letter, or even acknowledge they got it.

Is anyone else as bothered as I am?  I have e-mail accounts with Yahoo and AOL too, and I just do not have a spam problem with any of them.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III
    They don't have any solutions other than to block the senders and forward all spam to "spamreport@cox.net."  But this does nothing.

"Block senders" only sends email from individually selected senders to Spam.  A better solution would be to select known spam domains or common spam account names and block all of those with a Filter Rule.  If you look through Spam you've received, you'il probably see a large number from newsletter@<some domain>.  You should write the following Filter Rule:

Condition:  From    Contains newsletter              Action: Discard

That one rule should block a significant amount of Spam and using "Discard", you'll never see them at all.

You can add additional rules with differrent account names or domains.

AKrapt73
      New Contributor

The problem with filter "Contains newsletter Action: Discard" is that many legitimate senders are lazy and use "newsletter@xxxyyy.com" or some other domain. So "Action: File into: Spam" at least saves the message for review. Spam truly is the work of evil, feeble "minds" who hate hard work. Tough problem to resolve.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III
        many legitimate senders are lazy and use "newsletter@xxxyyy.com" or some other domain

My Outlook account has received literally thousands of emails from newsletter@ accounts and 99.99% of them have been Junk Email.  I found one such account from which I last received email in 2013.  But, I regularly received email from that sender and could have written a "Save" rule for it.  I receive 30-40 Junk Emails per day with most of them from a newsletter@ account.  Outlook intercepts them with Junk Email rules before I can use an Inbox rule to block them.

If you have a contact that sends email with that address, write a higher priority rule for that account with Action "Save".  You can "File into" Spam if you really want to review all the rest of them.  But, Cox Spam settings would probably send them to Spam anyway, so that would defeat the purpose of the rule.  (I say probably because it's been months since I've seen Spam in my Webmail account).

If Outlook had this Filter Rule capability, my Junk Email problem would be over.  Webmail's Filter Rules capabilities are much better than Outlook's Rules.

jerryco56
    New Contributor

Same here. I even tried setting up the domains to be bloxkwd.  One email domain to be blocked by Cox n the cox tech said it should be working (but apparently coxs making money from them as it increased in my opinion). The domain is (anymame goes here).co.uk.  like 10 a day now.  I am slowly using gmail now. At least they send it to spam box or block it. Then i will turn off my email with cox.  Sad how it's gone down the drain.

AKrapt73
    New Contributor

I'm certain that all of Cox email customers are suffering an identical experience. Non of the remedies suggested work. My solution: migrate from Cox's woefully terrible email service to one, for fee,  with a company actively engaged in the business. Effectively, Cox is not. Having been a Cox customer since 1998, such poor service is both annoying and tragic. Sic transit Gloria, Cox email.

Glenee
    Contributor II

I just don't know what it would take for Cox to Take Spam email's seriously. I guess if they get hit and shut down there services they will take it alot more seriously. I have blocked emails , only to have them come back and tell me that they are already blocked are you sure you want to block them. If it's not worth the time, then just don't even try.