Forum Discussion

BillCB
New Contributor
4 years ago

Download speeds much slower than service tier

My tier is 150Mbps download and 10Mbps upload.  I have tested direct connect and using multiple devices.  I receive 9-10Mbps upload, but download never exceeds 90Mbps.  This is not recent, but tested over several weeks.  I have used various test applications including the COX speed test and at various times during the day, even 2am.  Given that, it appears download speeds are being throttled or the COX modem is throttling.

3 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Due to your persistent 90 Mbps measurement, I'm gonna steal a troubleshooting question from widermouthopen:  is your WAN port limited to 100 Mbps?  Some older modems have Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) ports while newer have gigabit (1 Gbps) ports.  If you're unsure, provide its make and model.

• Have been seeing EXACTLY the same thing for two weeks: 10:UP is mostly fine, but 150:DOWN (which was usually between 170 and 200) is now 135-140 at best.  Have been taking photos of it every other day, just to keep a record.  What's surprising is quite often, the nearest, county server isn't the fastest one, and I am rerouted to a server 75 miles away!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You're getting what you're paying for, correct?