Forum Discussion

E_D_
New Contributor
4 years ago

Download speed fine, Upload speed drops from 35mbps to 1mbps as soon as I start Skype, Streamlabs, and/or Twitch - San Diego

I pay for the 940/35 with no data limit. I get 35/37 MBPS regularly, but as soon as I try to stream or simply join a NDI skype call, the upload stream drops and it's been an issue as soon as I started hosting streams. This happens as soon as I start up Streamlabs OBS, as well. I have read that Cox throttled entire neighborhoods in the middle of the pandemic so I wouldn't be surprised, with the lack of Net Neutrality and consequences, Cox is throttling my connection. Would a VPN be better?

Here is the article of Cox throttling entire neighborhoods www.techdirt.com/.../major-isp-cox-begins-throttling-entire-neighborhoods-excessive-usage.shtml

I am on a wired connection from a Netgear C7800 modem/router. This was a problem with the panoramic, as well. 

Any other streamers having these issues?

Also, I've spent at least 7 hours on the phone/chatting with cox about this. Seems to get nowhere. It is good for a sec, then just drops as soon as I try to actually use these speeds.

3 Replies

JRuck504
    New Contributor II

Welcome to the club, good luck getting a solution. Still waiting on my same issues to be resolved. 

Cyrusgm
    New Contributor II

I can't play online games anymore here in OC.  I was told that it's an issue with overloaded nodes, but that I'm otherwise out of luck.  Gaming is a big part of my life and Cox's service is absolutely unacceptable.

SharonL
      Former Moderator
      Hello,

This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. Thank you.

Sharon
      Cox Support Forum Moderator