Forum Discussion

prithwishpal16
New Contributor
2 months ago

Data Usage

My internet usage habit does not change much from month to month: usual web-browsing, video calls, and streaming services (no game downloads etc). However, I am noticing recently that my data usage has been going up rapindly. Last month, I was charged an additional $50 (that's 250GB additional data), and this month I am apparently already 60% of usage less than 2 weeks into the cycle. Something doesn't add up here. Anyone else having this issue? 

• Hi, there. I'm so sorry for the issues with your data usage. I'd like to help.  If it has increased suddenly and nothing has changed, most often it is a BitTorrent application that may be running unbeknownst to you and serving files to the torrent network. I might recommend checking all computers for Utorrent, BitLord, Bitcomet, Shareaza, etc.... and uninstalling them if found. Here is a link to a Wikipedia article that lists most of them by name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients.

In addition, cellphones may be running "Popcorn Time" or "Showbox" which are also torrent clients. Also, if you have a Firestick for your TV, they may be running Kodi, which is also a torrent client. I hope this helps you get to the bottom of the issue. If you need us here, we're glad to assist you. Please feel free to email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We are happy to assist.