Forum Discussion

NSGOOD
New Contributor
4 years ago

DATA USAGE

I just left AT&T to come over to Cox.  With AT&T I had unlimited data - but bill was about 175 a month which included cable and phone.  Now with Cox 3 weeks - not working from home and it get a text today saying i have used 78% of my data.  I go online and it says last time my phone and iPad were connected was Jan 29th.  How in the heck can this happen????  My son plays games but still.

Should I go back to AT&T?  At least I didn't have to worry about data or what my bill was going to run.

6 Replies

Eric_V
    New Contributor II

Games nowadays easily increase caps. Most games are 75+GB for just the game let alone patches and add ons. Streaming Video on Youtube and Netflix/Amazon increase it fast as well. Suggest getting a router that can see how much each device uses or old fasion way of not letting son have internet for a month and see if it goes down.

BenS1
    Former Moderator
    Hi @NSGOOD,

We don't want you to leave us and we know how important it is for you to have predictable internet usage. You can track your daily and monthly data usage with the Cox app or use this link www.cox.com/.../mydatausage.cox. Make sure that you change your wifi password as well. For your billing concerns please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address.

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    heshoop
    New Contributor

Same here.  We've actually decreased our usage, since my husband went back to his office to work.  There were two of us working from home and never received this excessive data usage notice.  He's back working at his office and now I'm getting a notice that we're using more than 50% for the month.  Cox needs to rerun their figures.  It's not possible.  

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi@Heshoop,

If you have our Panoramic Wifi Gateway you can use it to create profiles and track which devices are using data. If you do not have our Gateway, you can track your daily and monthly data usage with the Cox app or use this link www.cox.com/.../data-usage.html. You should be able to see which days you are using the most data and you can start to pinpoint which times that you are using the most data.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Even with your son playing his game you shouldn’t use that much data. We have a Xbox and it’s played everyday plus our phones stay connected to our WiFi when we are home and we never use all of ours. I mostly watch Netflix,Hulu and hbo max app. Even though we have all the premium channels. You shouldn’t be going through data like that unless someone else is using it if you don’t have it secured.