Forum Discussion

Perplexed_User
New Contributor III
2 years ago

Cox States Upload Speed to Increase 67%

Hello,

After reboot and resetting the router and modem there is no change.

My upload speed is 5.  If you apply the free increase I should see 8.35.  

Am I missing something?  Upload speeds at my freinds houses in a non Cox areas are MUCH better.

Thank you.

21 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Perplexed, as I mentioned previously, the email you received is valid. I truly understand why it perplexed you, as it certainly had me confused for a while, also. I believe I've figured it out. Cox increased the upload speeds of the Essential tier in June 2022 from 3 Mbps to 5 Mbps. The 3 to 5 increase is basically 67%. I will double-check with our Marketing team on Monday and let you know if I find out something different. Again, I apologize for the confusion this email caused. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

The upload speed is 5 mbps The IP address for the web page you list above, goes to an AMAZON server. ON that page if you click on the chat link, it takes you to a real cox web page, and if you look at the URL aboe it does NOT start with the M.EM as the page shown above does. It's a fake web page. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I've said this before.  Cox should publish a list of valid Cox domains and only use those domains for email from Cox or an approved vendor, e.g. marketing firm.  That would eliminate the uncertainty of whether or not an email is from Cox.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

What modem are you using? How are you connected? What Internet plan are you on? How are you testing your speed? I checked Cox's web site, If you are on the Essential plan, your speeds should be up to 100 mbps down, and up to 5 mbps up. Not sure where you are getting 8.35, other than Cox routinely sets their speeds a bit higher to ensure you meet the speeds they advertise, IE 5 upload, MAY be provisioned as 6.35 or higher, to ensure you reach the 5 they are advertising, BUT they aren't going to guarantee higher speeds than they are advertising. 

Perplexed_User
      New Contributor III

I subscribe to the 100/5 plan. The advertising email sent states a free 67% increase for uploads.  5 x 1.67 = 8.35. Not seeing it.  I test frequently on Cox's website and others with my docsis 3.1 modem. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

This is an odd URL.  m.em.cox.com is a sub-domain of Cox but it appears Amazon uses it.  It may be a marketing email from other than Cox.

Try to find this deal in your account.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Here's a post from 7 months ago with the same scenario.  It's kinda long with 50 replies but its gist is the "Buckle up for More Speed" promo:

• If you subscribed to the Preferred plan and had an eligible modem, Cox would increase your download from 150 Mbps to 250 Mbps
    • Cox notified subscribers via a pop-up on the Cox App and an email from residential@service.cox.com
    • The pop-up included a link
    • No mention if email included a link

Moderators had confirmed the promo for the Preferred plan and its notifications were legit; however, a moderator confirmed there is currently no promo for the Essential plan.

In this long post from 7 months ago, curtb researched the legitimacy of the email notification.  Although the email was legit, we'd need to know the content of the email.

For example, did the email to Curt include a link to log into his account or to "view in browser"...or did the email just instruct Curt to log into his account and reset his modem?

If a moderator had confirmed there is currently no promotion for the Essential plan, someone could have just maliciously copied-and-pasted the content of the "Buckle up for More Speed" promo and included a risky link.

forums.cox.com/.../50-faster-speeds-free

Becky
      Hi Perplexed User et al.: our previous reply indicating that the email you received was not valid is incorrect. The Cox Marketing team uses an outgoing email address of residential@em.cox.com when sending out emails like the speed increase email. The https://m.em.cox.com/ is a valid Cox URL used for viewing an email through a browser. I apologize for the confusion this email has caused. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

So there is a current promo to increase Essential upload from 5 to ~8 Mbps?

What does OP need to do to get the increase...another reset or a re-provision?

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

This is an excerpt from the "Buckle up for more speed." email from Cox.

I didn't click the button, but the link began with https://t.em.cox.com

Note: Actual link was removed.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Thanks.  I knew you'd remember.  Becky solved the mystery.  OP hadn't checked Cox email in 4 months.