Forum Discussion

Jincuteguy
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Cox Gigablast upload is very slow and fluctuating throughout the day

Hi guys, I'm in San Diego (92115 area), CA.  And my upload speed have been fluctuating and not consistent.  I have Gigablast and the upload speed supposed to be 30Mbps. But most of the time it's less than 10Mbps.  It's been like this for over 2 years now but in the past 4 weeks it's been worst.

I have a Netgear CM2000 Modem and Asus ROG AX11000 Router.  Any Cox tech here or anyone with knowledge that can guide me to the right direction?

I work from home and I do live streaming on Twitch and Youtube.  But with this kind of upload speed, it just doesn't work.

When I do a speed test from SpeedTest.net or SpeakEasy and plus many more sites, most of the time the upload speed are fine. But when I actually do something with Upload like Live Streaming on Twitch or Youtube, thats' where the upload is horrible.  

Any help would be appreciated it.

10 Replies

• Hi, Jin. If you are having poor upload to Twitch or Youtube, but it looks OK at a test site, the issue may be the route or site. Your bitrate can be limited by the site to which you are uploading. If you run a traceroute to either site, it may reveal a problem server in the route. On a Windows PC, you would hold down the Windows key (between CTRL and ALT) and press R. In the Run window, type CMD and click OK. At the prompt, you would type "tracert youtube.com or tracert twitch.tv and press Enter. Once the trace is finished, right-click in the middle of that little window and click Select All. This will reverse negative the text. Then press Enter. You now have the data saved in memory. Come here and paste it into this chat with CTRL + V. Thanks in advance.

Chris J Cox Moderator
      Jincuteguy
      New Contributor II

I don't have problems watching videos on youtube.com or watching streams on Twitch.tv

I only have problems when I do a "live stream" on my youtube or twitch channels

But here are my trace routes to youtube.com and twitch.tv

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.527]

(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert youtube.com

Tracing route to youtube.com [142.250.72.238]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms GT-AX11000-1420 [192.168.50.1]
      2 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms 10.64.20.1
      3 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 100.120.109.160
      4 7 ms 16 ms 9 ms 100.120.108.24
      5 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms langbprj01-ae1.rd.la.cox.net [68.1.1.13]
      6 21 ms 22 ms 21 ms 72.215.224.173
      7 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 108.170.238.56
      8 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms 209.85.250.41
      9 19 ms 22 ms 19 ms lax31s14-in-f14.1e100.net [142.250.72.238]

Trace complete.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert twitch.tv

Tracing route to twitch.tv [151.101.2.167]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms GT-AX11000-1420 [192.168.50.1]
      2 7 ms 12 ms 7 ms 10.64.20.1
      3 7 ms 8 ms 9 ms 100.120.109.160
      4 7 ms 6 ms 8 ms 100.120.108.24
      5 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms langbprj01-ae1.rd.la.cox.net [68.1.1.13]
      6 * * * Request timed out.
      7 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 151.101.2.167

Trace complete.

ddennedy
    New Contributor

Hi Jin,

I came to this forum looking for a problem like this. I am in Oceanside, have the 500/10 plan, and I am recently noticing massive slowdown to upload any decent size file (100MB+) to any number of places. I just started noticing it Friday March 18, but it could have started sooner. How slow? Well, Friday I was getting around 1.8 Mbps, but today less than 300 kbps. Like you, the speed tests look fine, and I even tried selecting servers outside of COX. It totally smells like a route problem, but I have tested uploads to Amazon S3, GitHub, YouTube. Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive. All behave in a similar manner., which is very strange and suspicious. If there is a route problem then I believe it is specific to COX. I have only been using COX for 11 months, and previously used Comcast in the SF Bay Area without this problem.

P.S. I have never exceeded my 1.2 TB data limit and currently have used 46% in the current cycle which ends in a few days.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Ddennedy

Sorry to learn of your internet troubles and like to investigate. When you have a moment please email us at cox.help@cox.com, including your full name, full address, and a URL to this thread.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
      Whynouploadspee
      New Contributor

Hello ddennedy and Jin,

I also came to this forum looking for answers.  I was recently pushed off of my old plan of 300dl/30ul mbps speeds and was offered the Gigablast plan for 2 yrs at a lower price.  I had to buy a new modem bc my old one was only Docsis 3.0.  So I bought an Arris SB8200, which is compatible with Gigablast. The first week or two I was getting normal speeds on my Xbox Series X which is hardwired to my router.  Normal speeds were around 900 mbps down, and uploads varied but could reach into the 20 mbps range. However over the last couple of days my upload speeds wont go above 2 mbps and hover around 1 or even less that one which is not good for staying connected.

Anybody have any ideas how I can get the speeds I am paying for?  I have tried multiple things to no avail.

Allan
        @Whynouploadspeeds, I recommend starting with power cycling both the router and modem. Then run a speed test again with multiple devices (both wired and wireless) to see if there is any change. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      ddennedy
      New Contributor

Thanks jonathanj for taking notice. I spent a couple of days to setup an alternative ISP and get back up to speed. I am not yet canceling COX because I am still under the first year contract, and I have not completely given up. The alternative ISP has not been allowing YouTube to stream at its highest bitrate automatically tonight giving me pause. So, I just tested COX again to upload a 147 MB file, and I got 9 Mbps to Google and 8.5 Mbps to Amazon! Now this is what I call normal esp. during prime time. I have been in tech long enough to know to just try it again in a day or few. I will likely keep both services and even looked into getting a dual WAN router.

Allan
        @Ddennedy, You are most welcome. Please let us know if we can be of assistance. We are here to help. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.