Forum Discussion

roomonfirethisi
New Contributor II
4 years ago

confirming internet issues being due to your ISP or the application youre attempting to use

cox internet running awful?

rule out your application by sending an extended ping command to cox's most local decided routing hop to google

- open start menu

- type cmd, open command prompt

- type "tracert -h 2 google.com" without the quotes, hit enter

- copy the number at the end of the second line, NOT the one that starts with 192.168.x.x

- type "ping [IP copied from before] -t" without quotes, hit enter

this will ping the closest server on the journey to accessing google once every second indefinitely until you choose to halt it by holding ctrl and pressing C twice.

afterwards itll report your statistics back. if theres packet loss/high latency and youre confident in your hardware or its rented from/owned by cox, then you can be certain its 100% on their end.

if this pandemic isnt the wake up call for these effective broadband monopolies to upgrade their infrastructure, then i dont know what is. the ISP bourgeoisie are finally having to deal with years of minimum required maintenance and no real upgrades to infrastructure unless strongarmed by competition.

unfortunately for vegas, municipal internet is banned by state law. (clever use of that money in lobbying over improvements!) so unless youre in the area of service for a competitors fiber option, youve really got no other choice. theres the illusion of choice, but you dont have another choice.

my disgust at this point with this company is immeasurable. if i could move i would, if i had other options id take them.

hope this post helps others!

SharonL
    Former Moderator
    Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your internet. This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Sharon
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      roomonfirethisi
      New Contributor II

save ya breaf. ive replaced modem/router/all coaxials/all ethernet cables/attenuated my own super low upstream signals up with -6db/tried all available coax ports/port forwarded for all applications i use/prioritized QoS 4 me/am wired directly to router, had multiple techs out. new excuses every time. its 100% not my problem anymore, its the shoddy infrastructure that cox is unwilling to upgrade to provide new fiber service or at least maintain the dogshit copper in use rn. i dont feel like having some new guy over to tell me im good for him to leave and it to fall to ***. your effective monopoly in vegas and other areas allows you to get away with murder. youve burned out any benefit of the doubt left i have to give.

current outage to be resolved at 7am. lets see how this one goes!!!!

i honestly hope the FCC takes notice of the joke you ISPs have made of americas broadband capabilities, but cox seems to be one of the worst. its actually negatively impacting my self esteem at this point to continue to give your company money, but i literally do not have an alternative more worthy. that is just disgusting. free market drivin competition again !!!!

ChrisL
        Former Moderator
        We'd be happy to look into this for you further. Can you try to get some trace routes to the hosts you're trying to connect to and share your results so we can check for problems?

-Chris