Forum Discussion

jnojr
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Configure router for IPv6?

I have a Netgear R6700v3  How do I get IPv6 addresses from Cox?  It has a bunch of options.  I've tried them all, none seem to work.

jnojr
    New Contributor II

"Most routers should work if you set IPv6 to auto-configure. " - it isn't.

"It should detect DHCPv6 if set to Auto-detect" - it doesn't.

"Should also ask, what size prefix delegation are you requesting?" - I'm not "requesting" anything.  Whatever they send, probably a /64

Can I please get an actual answer, not vague guesses?  There are settings in there.  I do not know what they should be.  Can someone just tell me what settings have to be applied to make this work on Cox?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Going to need more data from your side on what exactly those different settings are. Can you upload a screenshot? Also, you could be a tad nicer. All we can do is guess since none of us have your exact modem/gateway.

jnojr
        New Contributor II

The settings are Disabled, Auto Detect, 6to4 Tunnel, Pass Through, Fixed, DHCP, PPPoE, Auto Config, and 6rd Tunnel.  Probably the same as every other Netgear router... I didn't build my own. 

There is going to be one right answer.  If someone has that answer, I'd appreciate their sharing it.  But saying "It should work" when t doesn't isn't helpful. 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

There may be a special setting for the netgear. I had to activate IPv6 on my RAXE300. Go to advanced setting, Advanced Setup, select IPv6 and then select DHCP, and get automatically from ISP.

• Should also ask, what size prefix delegation are you requesting?  /64 is default but up to /56 will also work if you have multiple networks you need addresses for.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

It should detect DHCPv6 if set to Auto-detect. See here for more info. Don't forget to power cycle after changing the settings. If that doesn't work, upload a image of your settings or use Imgur.