Forum Discussion

garylape
New Contributor II
9 months ago

changing frequency bands for panoramic connected devices

I have the new Cox panoramic modem/router. I had to upgrade to a newer phone in order to manage it. The Panoramic automatically sets my phone to the 5 Ghz band. My outdoor security cameras were controlled by my old phone and were required to be on the 2.4 Ghz band. My old phone and modem let me force the phone into the 2.4 Ghz band. How can I work within the Panoramic to force my new Android into the 2.4 Ghz band?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Try following the steps found here except check the box for "Use different names and passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi" Not sure if the steps are current with the shift to the app but there all I could find.

What that should do is give you two network names(SSID) when you look Settings > Internet > Wi-Fi on your phone. Have both the camera and phone connect to the network that says 2.4 at the end.

garylape
      New Contributor II

I think you have it. Also, I can check and see which other devices, using band steering, have logged on with 2.4 Ghz. That includes my two printers and my thermostat. I can re-set them up on the 2.4 network. That's a little bit of work resetting those few devices but not too bad. If I get a  new device, I just have to see which network it wants to log on to. Once it is done, it is done. I wish there was a simple way to just "edit" each device and say use only this frequency.  Thanks

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

No problem. Glad I could help. With band steering, you can only control what the router broadcasts, not what the device connects to.