Forum Discussion

NoThanks00
New Contributor
7 years ago

Caps and Speed Tiers

Recently Cox has started enforcing data caps.  Despite offering 300 or 350Mbps service to our house, they still enforce a 1TB data cap.  If Cox was actually offering 300 megabit per second service (37 megabytes per second), then the 1,024 megabyte data cap would be consumed in less than a half hour.  Given that Cox is charging for the speed, it seems unfair to enforce the same cap as lower tiers and not offer a customer-friendly way to use what we're paying for.

I'm now shopping around.

10 Replies

Jeremy_L
    New Contributor

I 100% AGREE!!! They even impose the data cap on their GigaBlast service! I pay more, I should get more, but NO! Eleven years I've been with Cox and now they want to syphon more money off of us because their cable service ** and they are losing customers to Netflix. I am also looking at alternatives. COX CABLE, WAKE UP AND UNDERSTAND YOUR CUSTOMERS!

d3x0r
    New Contributor

and have you calculated how much of your bandwidth they do allow?

(3600 * 24 * 30) * 300 / 8 

(seconds per month, for a short month)   (speed in Mbps)  (8 bits per byte)

97,200,000,000,000 ( 97 TB ) a little more than 1%.

You're paying premium for barely more than 1% of what you can use.

(that's not to mention the 30Mbps upload or another 9TB... since they count both upload and download in caps)

mcclaunch
    New Contributor

Point blank if cox is going to have a data meter I want an actual reading. Not just oh you used 1082GB this month you are over. I want an hourly break down for their system. This is the second month we have gone over and this really started happening when they said the grace period ended. I think cox is inflating everyone's data meters just to make more money. I mean they already were offering unlimited data on all of their plans but then someone decided they could make more money if they instilled a cap. Only 2% of their customers are supposed to go over but I hear that over 35% of clients are incurring an additional data charge because they went over. *** my 85 year old grandmother went over and all she has is a tablet and a cell phone and I'm the one that restricts it. All cox could do was shrug and say "uuuuhhhhhhh, we aren't sure." They will never fix this because they don't want it fixed. This makes them a but load of money. And if you get the unlimited data THEY STILL THROTTLE YOU!!! My family is a family of gamers but we monitor ourselves very closely and my husabnd and I both work in IT. If we had another opinion for internet we would take it in a heartbeat. I'm {} this close to cancelling everything and telling them to take a hike just like their data plans and prices have.

Point is if you are going over your data you will continue to until there is an investigation that cox is not only inflating their customers data to make them go over but if you get the unlimited they throttle you because you are using too much. Cox is not longer a ISP they are a gateway to something that is free. Used to the ISP offered software and different things like that but internet wasn't there strong suit. Cable and phone was the big money maker. With Netflix, Hulu, and the stations themselves offering you a better price you can always switch. So then Cox changed up it's game plan and charged more for internet than anything else. They realized that this is the only way they could make money by capping data and inflating not just the price but their users data in a meter form. Also we used to track our data on a daily and when cox rolled out the data meter it never matched what we had. With net neutrality being removed it is only going to make things worse. If you have time and want more information I have started a petition. I don't know if it will do anything but it is worth trying and the other link is from the creators of the internet explaining why it should be open and free. It is extremely long so I understand if you pass on reading it. I wish I could be of more help but something has to be done and I don't think things will change for the better.

https://www.change.org/p/sharon-s-truxillo-stop-imposing-in-personal-lives-by-adding-data-caps

https://static.tumblr.com/unowjew/1b8p0vnxq/comments_of_internet_engineersfcc_nn.pdf 

• Hi mcclaunch,

Cox offers a Data Usage Meter to help customers monitor their daily, monthly, and historical data usage. The meter is updated daily with usage from the prior day. An hourly breakdown is not available. To learn tips and tools to help manage data usage please refer to the following link: http://bit.ly/2j56Maf.

We can certainly look into your data usage and address your concerns, as well. Please email our team at cox.help@cox.com with this post, your first and last name, and your complete address.

mcclaunch
    New Contributor

And then of course we get the generic response which basically to me says "Aww, gosh! Bless you're heart you are so stupid you don't understand we have this great application that tells you how much data that you use and here is how you monitor you activity." Enough of the **. I work in IT and have for the last 15 years. I understand that ever response anyone is going to get is going to be automated but can't we get some real answers? If you are going to cap my usages and throttle my speeds then I am entitled to not a general overview, where you could have inflated my data the entire month, but a detailed breakdown. I want to know what time the data has been used. Every device has an IP address and I want you to tell me where it is coming from. If you are going to check my data usage then I want every detail about it. Otherwise I'm going to start sending and email or calling or you know what I will just write it down. Every time I lose signal and every moment my data is not running at 300mbps I'm going to make a note. Then at the end of every month before I pay my bill I want to be credited for that time and speed lossed. But I'm not going to give you a full on breakdown. For example:

My bill is due on the 28th and I haven't paid that yet. From the 28th to current I have encountered some issues.

28th of dec - Speeds were below 300mbps for a total of 6hrs
    29th of dec - I lost signal several times for a total of 4 hrs downtime and my speed was not at 300mbps for 2hrs
    30th of dec - speeds again not at 300mbps for a total of 3hrs and I dropped connections for a total of 1hr
    31st of dec - my kids complained several times that netflix was starting and stopping. When I ran a connection test we were under 100mbps and that was for at least 6hrs

1st of Jan - Slow speeds and dropped connections 6hrs
    2nd of Jan - Slow speeds and dropped connection 2 hrs

Yeah that's a little detail but I would expect more from cox. If I called in and told an agent what I listed above I would get " Sorry about the inconvenience sometimes data speed and lost of connection is possible. The system is not perfect." But then that also means that your data meter isn't perfect either. Because you only track a daily breakdown we has the consumer can't track you. I used 75GB yesterday. Ok I say you data meter is wrong because no one was home yesterday from 1pm to 10pm but you can't tell me when the data was used so I just have to pay it right? 

DJGem
    New Contributor

No offense but your "meter" ** and it LIES!!!!! A company as big as Cocks should offer their customers better support and better answers to their problems. Look, we all know where that bull**** link takes us and we're all finally catching on tot he newest scam: the Cocks data caps!

You have so many people out here complaining about the fact that your *** meter is wrong, maybe instead of your little "canned answers" you should start trying to make your customers happy? Ever thought about trying to find out where the problem in your system lies and FIXING IT?? Of course not because Cocks is making wayyyyyyyy too much money by robbing their customers blind!

15 year Cocks customer......

Eric_V
    New Contributor II

They did quite a bit of testing before rollout and found issues during test and "fixed them". But all the numbers I used to get from them was just about right on with what the router says. Internet is just getting eaten up faster and faster nowadays as more devices/IOT are introduced into households. Console games are getting larger and larger each time and streaming has gone up. For all the people who encouraged people to "cut the cord" this is the result. Cox does not care and believes 1TB is fine. Before they raised it to 1TB they had it at 300-400GB and said only 1% of the people went over... Now a lot of familys are hitting the limit due to streaming so Cox decided to make more money off "cord cutters". If you use the bandwidth you are paying for it now, if you do not want to worry pay the $50 for true "unlimited" and enjoy it.

ttyp
    New Contributor

I think cox is inflating everyone's data meters just to make more money. 

I Know for a fact that Cox is inflating everyone's data usage.  Measuring data usage is not rocket science and I measure the size of every packet that crosses my interface.  Last month Cox padded my usage by 160 Gb.

I have tried to get Cox to explain what data are counted but I cannot get an answer.  Cox is not transparent.  I am done talking to them and am in the process of lobbying my state Bureau of Weights and Measures to validate Cox's data meter.

ttyp
    New Contributor

Exactly.  They used to report usage to two decimal places, and at the time I could validate it on my router.  Since they started charging they don't report it with the same precision.  You would think they would be more precise now that they are charging for it.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

ttyp
    New Contributor

Cox offers a Data Usage Meter to help customers monitor their daily, monthly, and historical data usage.

Your data usage meter is wrong.  Cox is not the only one capable of measuring data crossing a network interface.  If you fill a five-gallon gas can at the station and look at the pump and it says six gallons who are you going to believe?  Your lying eyes or the gas jockey telling you your can must need a software update?

Ridiculous!  I'm lobbying the state to regulate you like they regulate gas pumps.