Forum Discussion

dmohr
New Contributor
21 days ago
Solved

Capped at 100Mbps even though I'm paying for 1Gbps

I moved into this house a little over a month ago and I have not been able to get even close to the speeds I'm paying for. I have the 1Gbps plan and can never exceed about 90Mbps.

I have had no success with chat agents as none of them seem to understand what I'm saying. I even tried replacing the modem in case there was an issue with that but it's still the exact same problem.

I finally had a technician out yesterday who replaced a line outside the house (which wasn't necessary and didn't do anything to fix the issue and now I have to wait two weeks for someone else to come bury it) and then said I would need a "maintenance tech" to check settings at the box outside my house (not sure why the first tech couldn't do it) and he said that tech would arrive by 7pm yesterday; however, no one ever showed up.

I am at my wits' end trying to find someone who can both understand my issue and actually fix it. It should not be this hard to get what I'm paying for.

• Yes, all of my internal equipment was gigabit (I used to get 450 on the 500Mbps plan at my previous address).

I finally had a tech out that was able to replace one of the coax lines and get my speed to around 800 Mbps. It took some doing but posting here was so much more effective than going through phone or chat.

2 Replies

dmohr
    New Contributor

Yes, all of my internal equipment was gigabit (I used to get 450 on the 500Mbps plan at my previous address).

I finally had a tech out that was able to replace one of the coax lines and get my speed to around 800 Mbps. It took some doing but posting here was so much more effective than going through phone or chat.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Did you ever get more than 100 Mbps download with your current computer and patch cables at a previous location... even once?  If your network interface card (NIC) is a 100 Mbps, you'll be limited to around 96 Mbps, regardless of the Cox plan you have.  You would also be limited to that speed if you have cat5 cables.  You need a 1 Gbps NIC and at least cat5e cables to get higher than 100 Mbps download.  For the highest speeds, use cat6 or better.  If your NIC and patch cables are the reason you're limited to around 90 Mbps, upgrading them would significantly increase speeds, but you'd still be unlikely to get anywhere near 1 Gbps download.